my pedals

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so hello everybody. I have a question about my bike, specifically with the pedals. A little while ago, when i used to cycle a few times a month, i used to cover at least 20 miles. After cycling after about three/four times doing a similar distance my pedals came lose on one side. no matter how tight i would tighten the bolt on the pedal it would come loose within a few metres. i took it to the cycle shop and apparently there is something aluminum in the pedals that does wear away a little bit after a while which then requires replacing. it cost me £10 but i'm reluctant to go on any long rides as i was stranded because of the pedal on one side coming so loose i was unable to cycle.

is it true there is something aluminum inside the pedals that wears away and needs replacing? is there something that can be done to avoid it? any tips to help that would not cause me to be stranded, dont want to be stuck half way to work when i'll eb commuting 16 miles.

please help !

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    might be better off buying some new pedals if they are going to keep causing you problems.
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    One side is a LH thread, another a RH thread.

If one side is coming loose, it sounds like the actualy pedal thread has worn the thread inside the crank arm somewhat and the only way to work out if that is in deed the issue, try another pedal on that side. Make sure it's a LH pedal on the LH side and visa-versa!

If that works loose, you need a new crank arm or a new crank set (depending which side it is worn on).
    Or try Superglue - but then it's going to be there for ever.

I have some spare flats if you don't own any spares - PM me your address and the side you require and I'll send you them / it if you wish.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like it could be either the pedal thread metal wearing away, in which case do as others have suggested and try another pedal. Or if could be the thread on the crank in which case the pedal is not at fault but the crank will need changing.

Don;t know how old your bike is but you might want to discuss with the shop where you bought it as;
    * If its a known fault they have sold you a bike knowing it was going to fail
    * Was it not put together correctly in the first place (possible if they damaged the crank/pedal when assembling)

Either way if you were sold the bike and it was faulty you should have plenty of options to get them to reimburse/swap the items for you if not your fault.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    thanks for the offer fatamorgana but i have bike shop literally round the corner so i'll take it them to give a quick once over and make sure there is no problems especially with the pedals. i was just concerned that it might start wearing away when i'm half way through my commute. i did have ti replaced once, as mentioned, and that was nearly a year ago so shoudl be ok. thanks for replies folks. i really appreciate the help you have given me :)
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    may be worth trying some PTFE tape around the threads?

Just an idea..
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Try some Threadlock for a quick fix. It may help for a while but, as others have suggested, it may be that the thread on the pedal or the crank arm has worn.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/