campagnola neutrons advice

wiganwarriors
wiganwarriors Posts: 132
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys. Contemplating upgrading my hoops to campag neutrons. I currently run Fulcrum 5's which have done me proud but feel sluggish would an upgrade to neutrons make a huge difference in the performance stakes.I appreciate no ammount of kit can make up for training.
Oh i weight 96kg muscle not fat though. lol.
cheers.

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bowling along on a set of Neutrons! 8) I'd buy them for the name alone.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • So is that a thumbs up from you Peddle up? I take it you have a set then? Did you see any performance improvements, obviously they roll nice or at least one would expect them to from the hefty price tag.
    cheers
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    So is that a thumbs up from you Peddle up? I take it you have a set then? Did you see any performance improvements, obviously they roll nice or at least one would expect them to from the hefty price tag.
    cheers

Sorry - I don't have a set but I think it's a great name for wheels.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a set - I like them! Not exactly giving them a hard time - 2000 or so miles under a light rider in dry weather but they are still true and run beautifully.

If you like Fulcrums you'll like the Neutrons - same manufacturer and all that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I don't know if Campag has ever made a bad wheel. You can get lighter for the money but that probably shouldn't be a huge priority at 96kg. If anything you might want to look at the Eurus - similar weight to the Neutron (see: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=97155) but probably a bit stiffer.

Either way you're looking at around 300g weight savings which will be a little bit noticeable but not a huge improvement. Of course the placebo will be excellent. :)
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've had standard Neutrons, their almost identical predecessor Neucleons and now some Neutron Ultras for the best part of 10 years and they're all great wheels. They really do feel light and lively. Your bike seems to spring forward when you put a bit of oomph into your pedalling. I'm sure you'll feel an improvement on the Fulcrums.

They use Record equivalent hubs which are a doddle for bearing adjustment. You just need a small allen key to release a collar which screws down onto the cones. If the standard Neutrons (black alloy hubs) are still the same as when I had them, there is a spring clip on the hub which covers a lube port for the bearings. You just need one of those small needle-nosed grease guns to greae the bearings.

Mine have been 100 per cent reliable - bearings and spokes - and they spin freely. If you need to re-true the wheels you need a small box spanner (a Campag spare) to tighten the spokes from the inside of the rim after taking off the tyre and rim tape. The spokes (all aero) are offset to the non-drive side on the rear wheel to minimise the effect of dish and boost strength.

It's rare to see them tested in magazines although Cycling Plus gave the Neutron Ultras a best in test rating quite recently compared with other high end wheels such as Mavic Ksyriums and the like.

They are part of Campag's range of wheels optimised for climbing with low-profile rims. As MajorMantra says, the Eurus is another good option if you want a stiffer wheel - it's got a mid-profile rim for more general use. However, I reckon Neutrons would feel livelier because of their lighter rims.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Love my Neutrons, light, fast, tough as old boots!