Route Question

2»

Comments

• 3500km time trial. And that's it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    3500km time trial. And that's it.

Isn't that what the Race Across America is?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

This one's in France :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Nah. Better idea is a Tour that starts with 3,500 riders. Each day the last rider across the line is out. Like a giant elimination race that lasts for ten years. Each day is a stage between 150 and 250 km. All terrains. Race starts in Paris and ends in Beijing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    RichN95 wrote:

This one's in France :wink:

I think they already do/did that. Le Tour Direct, won by the legendary Jure Robic.

In 2005, Robic won the race and two weeks later won Le Tour Direct, a 2,500-mile European version with a course derived from Tour de France routes that included 140,000 feet of climbing — almost the equivalent of starting at sea level and ascending Mt. Everest five times. His time was 7 days 19 hours.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    emadden wrote:
    A classic weird grand tour was the 1987 Giro...Started with a prologue, then the next day an ITT in the morning and in the afternoon another ITT down the poggio... Two stages later a TTT... Fantastic!!

Might be an interesting idea with the current crop. Get all the TT's out the way first > People like Evans and Wiggins have a significant lead. Andy Schleck and the other climbers know exactly how much they have to do to get it back in the mountains.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    A classic weird grand tour was the 1987 Giro...Started with a prologue, then the next day an ITT in the morning and in the afternoon another ITT down the poggio... Two stages later a TTT... Fantastic!!

Might be an interesting idea with the current crop. Get all the TT's out the way first > People like Evans and Wiggins have a significant lead. Andy Schleck and the other climbers know exactly how much they have to do to get it back in the mountains.
    It was great viewing in '89 when Delgado totally ballsed up the opening couple of days (prologue and a split stage with a TTT in the afternoon) and had to attack on every mountain stage. Looked for a while like he might make up the deficit but faded in the end.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    JonGinge wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    emadden wrote:

It was great viewing in '89 when Delgado totally ballsed up the opening couple of days (prologue and a split stage with a TTT in the afternoon) and had to attack on every mountain stage. Looked for a while like he might make up the deficit but faded in the end.

For the record (and I should know this), had he not lost that time would he have won? I seem to recall that he would have been in yellow until the finall tt but I could be wrong there. Anyway, definitely the forgotten third man of that race!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BigMat wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    emadden wrote:

For the record (and I should know this), had he not lost that time would he have won? I seem to recall that he would have been in yellow until the finall tt but I could be wrong there. Anyway, definitely the forgotten third man of that race!
    *shrugs* He lost about 10 mins in the opening weekend. The race would have played out totally differently if he hadn't. He was in good form and his prologue time was pretty good other than being late ;)

Yeah, lost a bucket in the final ITT (caught by lemond for 3 minutes IIRC) but wasn't in the running for the overall at that point. You could see he was done on the stage where fignon soloed to victory.

I, too, had the whole tour on VHS...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    My friend did the TDF in 1959..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Tour_de_France He also won the Tour of Britain in 1955 at the grand old age of 21 having already done two 'Circuits of Britain's' as an Amateur. The 1955 edition was 9 stages in 8 days and was heavily aided by Butlins :!: . Tony took the overall lead on the Stage From Sheffield to Pwllheli 168 miles taking in High Peak and the North Wales mountains.
    Check out page two.
    Tony is still getting the miles in and we hope to be doing the Johnny Helms Two Up Memorial TT again in October. :D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    My favourite half baked theory for a stage is Bedoin to Carpentras, up and down Ventoux
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My favourite half baked theory for a stage is Bedoin to Carpentras, up and down Ventoux

Only if we can have a giant for a winner

Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTnLaH3gVA
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    iainf72 wrote:

Only if we can have a giant for a winner

Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTnLaH3gVA

That's one of my picks in the best break thread. It was a great stage!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Stage lengths were reduced to discourage doping.

In the good old days we'd only have one rest day for a GT - now we have two.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    cougie wrote:
    Stage lengths were reduced to discourage doping.

In the good old days we'd only have one rest day for a GT - now we have two.

so far it hasn't worked :D