Hi all! 1st post...

Lazarus42
Lazarus42 Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Just wanted to say thanks for a friendly, informative forum! Learned a lot since finding you all. Been reading in here all evening since ordering a Carrera Subway Ltd. Edition (picking it up tomorrow after work) for my daily commute. I look after part of NCR 2 so I guess I really should cycle in to work!

Folkestone to Hythe & back, 5 miles each way mostly on flat seafront I think. Got the bike, lock, mudguards & a computer for a smidge under £240.

Slightly worried about Halfords build / setup reputation.. but we'll see how it goes. Anything I should check when I pick it up?

Laz

Comments

• welcome, hope you enjoy your new bike!
    Halfords have got a poor reputation but it depends on your local store. I picked up a Boardman CX on Saturday and it was pretty much spot on, although the brakes started getting noisy after about 10 miles. I checked it for obvious damage in store but then took it home and gave it a going over. Even the tyre pressures were right. If you find anything wrong take it straight back.
    Make sure you've got somewhere secure to park the bike at work, bike locks are useful only up to a point!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Welcome! Unfortunately there's too much to cover in the check-the-build if you're not already savvy, so best bet is to get a mate who knows his way around a bike to do it TBH. Happy riding!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Lazarus42
    welcome, hope you enjoy your new bike!
    Halfords have got a poor reputation but it depends on your local store. I picked up a Boardman CX on Saturday and it was pretty much spot on, although the brakes started getting noisy after about 10 miles. I checked it for obvious damage in store but then took it home and gave it a going over. Even the tyre pressures were right. If you find anything wrong take it straight back.
    Make sure you've got somewhere secure to park the bike at work, bike locks are useful only up to a point!

I have padlocked sheds with alarms to leave bike in. The lock is just for backup at work & weekends. I know enough to check for chipped paintwork, loose headstock, badly adjusted brakes, steering geometry etc. so maybe it'll be a case of ride it and see? I'm riding it home from Halfords so if need be I can ride it straight back! :)
  • Lazarus42
    SimonAH wrote:
    Welcome! Unfortunately there's too much to cover in the check-the-build if you're not already savvy, so best bet is to get a mate who knows his way around a bike to do it TBH. Happy riding!

Thanks for the welcome Simon... who knows? Maybe they'll do it right! Monday morning bike assembly should be better than Sunday afternoon! Well, it would be at my workplace anyway! :)
  • Lazarus42
    I work here http://www.spokeseastkent.org.uk/blog/2 ... ary-canal/ so I think I should maybe fly the flag!