Puncture repair advice

Cool4catz
Cool4catz Posts: 76
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi folks, got myself a snake bite yesterday and didn't have my spare tube with me. Fortunatly I had levers, patches and glue so all was well and it took no time at all to get back on the road. However I wondered what people think of self adhesive patches, cans that fix and inflate and the CO2 pumps? What's your preference?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I tried the Park self adhesive patches but found they kept leaking air at 110psi. Anyone used them successfully??

I do use a CO2 (Ultraflate Plus) with 16g cartridges when out on the road myself. Always found them perfect for my needs. I guess the biggest problem would come when you have one more puncture than cartridges!! Never happened yet though thankfully.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Always have the capability to repair 2 punctures on a long ride.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    haven't had success with self-adhesive patches, imho they are ok for lower pressure tyres, but for road they are not as reliable as a traditional patch

rema tiptop repair kits are the best, you can get a sheet of spare patches to replenish them

co2 inflators are for racing, they save time, but for other riding get a pump, it won't run out of air
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Carry two tubes + co2 (don't do patches)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    A self adhesive patch might get you home, but then a more durable repair is needed.
    left the forum March 2023
  • I found that self-adhesive patches aren't very good for smaller tubes, i.e. 23c, as they are too big and tend to lift at the edges. Gave up with them. Always carry two spare tubes and some old fashioned adhesive and patches at home unless it's a really long ride.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    I tend to carry a spare tube, glue and patches, and a 16g Co2 inflator at all times. I dont do any racing or anything, but its all in the saddle bag and its left on at all times.....dont have to think about remembering stuff when I go out then!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A self adhesive patch might get you home, but then a more durable repair is needed.

And it really doesn't take much more effort/time to fit a proper patch anyway - how long does it take to smear a little glue over the hole?

Besides, carry a couple of spare tubes and you can do the repair at home whilst waiting for the tea to stew!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cool4catz
    Cool4catz Posts: 76
    Hi, good point about the CO2 and speed, I'm never in that much of a hurry and I can see that a pump gives a never ending supply, so pump the better option. I used glue and standard patches, didn't take long and got home safe with repair, tyre is still fully inflated too. I'm not getting much love for the self adhesive patches so I'll give them a wide berth. So looks like the best option is carry at least one spare tube, a hand pump, and the tried and tested levers, glue and patches. Sounds good to me. Thanks.