Wanted - Recommendations for a new steed!

AshyB
AshyB Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
This is my first 'Topic' post, please be gentle with me!

I am very knew to road cycling having bought a Specialized Allez Sport in September/October last year, which I enjoy riding when I can. I commute on it and try and go for longish runs when I have free time. I have been 'bitten' by the road cycling bug.

I am looking for a second bike, preferably carbon. Looking for one that is light, fast and comfortable. Ideally one that will tackle Sprint Triathlons and Sportives. What models do you recommend, what should I get out and test ride? Budget is up to £2000, but would prefer the lower side of this. To add my Spec will be my commuting only bike.

Looking forward to the replies.

Comments

• kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Welcome! You'll get many different recommendations, but mine would be a Giant Defy.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I was in the same position as you, got the bug and wanting to upgrade my Boardman. I narrowed my choice down to either a Trek Madone 3.1 or a Cube Agree GTC Pro. I went for the Cube because of its better spec and value at £1550.

You have a larger budget than I had but I would still recommend looking at the Cube or Trek range. They both have a range of fantastic bikes.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cannondale do several choices in that price range and the CAAD 10 (aluminium frame) puts many carbon bikes in that price bracket to shame.

Do not assume that carbon will always be better - if you want carbon fine, just do not be mislead that their performance will always shadow other materials.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the Cubes/Canyons/Focus/Boardmans/Roses of this world have the higher specs so if that is what matters then you'll struggle to find anything better.

You could argue that the Treks/Giants have better frames/warranty/backup but it's difficult to prove I guess so I won't push that one ...

I like my TCR but I've not ridden the others so who knows if it's better...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You will generally get one of three types of response to a thread like this:

We've had those backing the big boys -i.e. Giant, Trek etc.

Those backing the "best spec for the money" bikes - eg Cubes, Canyons, Boardmans etc.

Then someone will come a long and say you can't beat the sexy Italian name on the downtube eg. wiliers, Pinarellos.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Giants... so try and get a test ride on one of those -> All Giant Dealers should do it as part of Giant's test ride program that they launched.

You could also look at Specialized again as the Tarmac will have a similar geometry to the Allez (i think its even the same?)
  • AshyB
    AshyB Posts: 5
    Fantastic response from everyone,

My LBS sell Cube, Specil and Cannondale as well as Bianchi and another one sells Giants and Treks - Time to visit and book test rides I feel, think its the best part. I have heard (via forums) that Trek and Cubes are thin on the ground at the moment.

On the Rose/Canyon front does anyone have any experience with them?, I am a wee bit dubious as I much prefer to see bikes in the flesh and test them out. I am aware that they offer great value and high spec but you just can't test them for fit/comfort extra - plus if they don't fit you gotta send em back.