Midland Monster

Weaving
Weaving Posts: 12
Just completed my first sportive ! Today !
Really enjoyed go down hills at 7mph and up them at 20mph + Worst weather I've ever ridden in. Fully agree that they cancelled the 100 mile looking forward to riding it at the rescheduled date.
Thought the day was run pretty well and the feed stop well stocked.
Any comments from any more experienced riders ?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done uphill at 20mph and downhill at 7 - you clearly love a challenge - hehe - what was the ride?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Also did this today, horrid weather, road surfaces treacherous in places as well thanks to a nice coat of loose chippings and cow shit. Good job there was little to no traffic around as you needed to use all the road. Didn't see another soul on the second half.

Well organised and signed, some gels would have been nice at the feed stop rather than the sweets things they had, but the cake was rather nice. The wind after the feedstop was incredible.

12 August is the new date I was told.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I made the ridiculous decision of using my normal fingerless gloves instead of winter ones - could hardly grip anything by the feedstop.

Shame the long route was cancelled but given that I was tiptoeing down hills I'd usually blast down at 30+ for fear of being blown off altogether, it was probably the right call.
  • jedi1967
    jedi1967 Posts: 38
    I had winter gloves on Not waterproof ! and my hands were cold in places. that top bit was great,r/h side of road to L\h side in one second,I could not stop laughing all the way down 16+ mph,my Bro was havin a night mare all the way down !!.
    Away all done now 05:30 total time not bad for me.But i'm tried now.
    Well done all who did it everyone was great.
  • Congrats to everyone who took part - you must of taken a serious battering off the weather. Fingerless gloves!!! Rule 9 of the Velominati applies to all.
    Independent website - Rate and share your sportive experience
    http://www.sportiverater.com
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    I saw some in 3/4 bibs, some without overshoes, and lots of fingerless gloves, I made sure I was well wrapped up after aborting a ride last weekend from wet / cold.
    Only just finished cleaning the bike, to be fair at times I couldn't tell if I was going up or down hill.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I did the re-run of this one on Sunday. Great route and a lovely ride, but poor weather again - as I was struggling through the last 3 miles there was a huge cloud burst, on top of the preceeding 4 hours of rain! Funny though, in a way...

Still, hats off the organisers who did a lovely route and laid on some great food - Clif Bars are surely the best energy bars around.