Best fork around £300

Johnnyvee
Johnnyvee Posts: 67
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for the best fork I can afford around this price. Must have qr and post mount. Travel 120mm or longer as if I can adjust it. 1 1/8 steerer too..

Biggest part of question is should I go air or coil - which is better and why. I ride in Derbyshire and Sherwood and am not bothered about weight. Like smooth ride though

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rockshox Reba, or reduced travel Revelation. Air is more adjustable and lighter.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Rockshox Reba or Revelation
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • i have got the Rockshox Reba Race its 100mm travel but for my hardtail it was perfect, dual chamber air and never bottomd out on me... id definitely recommend to anyone although its a bit short travel for what you are looking for
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    http://flic.kr/p/cv5koo
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rebas are available in 120mm though, and many are convertible from 100mm.
  • Johnnyvee
    Thanks for the replies but no one is saying anything as to whether I should go with air or coil forks...
    Any advice on this - it seems that you can get some forks in either coil or air.

I like or rather used to like the travel on my x-verts which was pretty plush.

Anyone got any objective opinions on this?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Air for weight & adjustability or coil for performance.
    As someone will point out a good air fork can be plusher than a poor coil fork & a light coil fork can be lighter than a heavy air fork.
    Personally I prefer coil but my forks are 160mm travel & most of the better quality short - mid travel forks are not available with coil.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Johnnyvee wrote:
    Thanks for the replies but no one is saying anything as to whether I should go with air or coil forks...
    Any advice on this - it seems that you can get some forks in either coil or air.

The forks that have been recommended (Rebas & Revs) are both air so that should answer your question.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Johnnyvee
    The problem I now have is that these all seem to have a 100kg weight limit...I'm around 103kg

any suggestions? (apart from going on a diet)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Revs will be fine, perhaps steer clear of 2012 Reba though, pun intended.