Cornwall Tor tomorrow

grumpygrandad
grumpygrandad Posts: 57
edited September 2012 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Weather forecast tomorrow is not good. Heavy rain and 30mph north easterly winds gusting to 50 mph. I'm booked in to 78 miles but am seriously considering the short course (45 miles).
Drove the course today. After a lot of heavy showers, first 10 miles not good. Lots of road debris combined with very steep ascents and descents makes for slow times.
I've ridden this sportive each year since day 1 but I must admit I'm dreading tomorrow!

Comments

• KilotoGo have tweeted that they have made changes to the route due to the weather - worth checking the website if you are riding tomorrow.
    Independent website - Rate and share your sportive experience
    http://www.sportiverater.com
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Utterly amazed this went ahead today.

As a local rider, I know the roads of this Sportive route. I would not have ridden it.

It looks like only about 1/3 of entries actually started.

Been following a few friends on FB who had entered. Only one of around 20 I knew actually started. He was home within an hour.

Really hoping there are no serious injuries.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • napper
    napper Posts: 31
    Signed up for the 100, couldn't do that so thought I'd do the 75, at the split for the 75/45...guess what, I weasled out and went for the 45!
    Reckon it's the hardest 45 miles I've ever done, but, considering the conditions, I'm quite pleased with that.
    I expect there were a lot of no-shows, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of people who pulled out of the 45 mile event.
    Bloody glad to be back home!!
  • Sat in the car at the start umming and ahhing whether to get out. Thought if I don't I'll regret it. Glad I got out and completed 45 miler. Didn't feel unsafe at any point. Strong winds and heavy rain but main problem was the cold. Thought I'd dressed well, but was freezing when I finished. Shivered in the car home with heating on full. Looking forward to seeing finish times on website soon.
  • derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    Agree with napper, but it was only the bit to Tintagel that was really bad. 30mph headwind and driving rain with a wind chill factor of 2deg C. I also bailed out onto the 45 miler, but with a tailwind I thought the second half was a bit of a blast. Most people that I saw were riding very carefully and I don't think the conditions were too dangerous to ride as long as you were well prepared with suitable clothing and rode accordingly. There could and should have been some hot drinks at Tintagel and certainly a free hot drink at the finish.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    congrats to those that did it .. take my hat off.

i've been watching the forecast all week hoping it would change but it didnt so i didnt even bother setting my alarm this morning!
  • Yeoer
    Yeoer Posts: 45
    It was Bloody freezing... wind and rain are one thing but it was like riding in mid winter! I couldn't even feel my hands so changing and braking were a nightmare. I was set for the 100 so as that was cancelled the 76 was the plan, but on the day i was too cold at Tintagel and thought i was going down with hyperthermia! No hot drinks sealled the deal so 45 it was. Well organised other than not reacting to the conditions and putting hot stuff on offer.
    I had signed up to do the 100m as a training run for bigger stuff in July.
    So a bit disappointed it was shortened to the 76m, but given the conditions it was a very sensible decision.
    I finished the 76m in about 5hrs 45. Was a tough day in the saddle, but have to say those that did the 45m also had the toughest conditions, as the opening 25 miles were easily the worst of the whole day.
    After the decision point, there was only one bad section where we went across what appeared to be a dis-used airfield on the moor itself, where there was a viscous cross wind, but after that, it turned into a rather enjoyable last 40miles or so. Good food and warm drinks at the 50m food stop, was excellent.
    I lost my front mech at mile 45m and the mechanic at the food station said it was permanent, so was stuck on the inner ring, so couldn't take full advantage of the tails winds on some parts of spin home.
    Didnt feel unsafe at any point, cycled within my limits, and the limits of the conditions. You did need to be very vigilant coming up the gates in hedge rows, and prep yourself for a strong side swipe. I did see one chap get caught out.
    Other than the muddy parking and the poor choice of stop for feed zone one, top marks to K2G for the event. Will be back to bag the 100 next year!
    Colnago Primavera 105
    Giant XTC Advanced XTR
  • napper
    napper Posts: 31
    Results are up on RaceTiming Systems website, and photos on Sportivephoto.
  • SirFin
    SirFin Posts: 4
    Just to say that the results on the website are total tosh! K2G made a total messing of the timings for the long distance ride (76m), and a pile of people who completed the short course (46m) timings have been included in the results for the 76m event.
    According to K2G 116 people did the long event, but in discussion with other riders who did the long distance ride, we figured the true figure is close to about 35 riders.
    Unfortunately K2G are not doing anything to try and fix this and have posted the same inaccurate times on their own website, despite the first top 3 riders coming forward and stating on their FB page that they did the short ride.
    Pretty inexcusable behaviour by them, so wont be doing one of their events again, it was a good ride on the day, but their behaviour post ride has been shocking - you should see some of the snotty replies they have posted on the FB page!!
    The St Ives 100 was a far better event last year, and given it was only the organisers first year hosting it, they pretty much nailed it! Will be doing that ride instead from now on. Cheaper, better value, timings correct, great start/end faculties, (not a lonely muddy field) lovely feeding stations, amazing route, and decent goodie bag! See you there!!
    Colnago Primavera 105
    Giant XTC Advanced XTR
  • SirFin,
    I presume you mean the 'Lands End 100' last year. I managed quite a few sportives last year, and after the Dartmoor Classic, this was my favourite by a long way. Couldn't recommend it highly enough to others/
  • SirFin
    SirFin Posts: 4
    Hi GG,

Yip! That is the one! Looking forward to doing it again this year, just signed up.
    Will Follow it with a crack at the Exmoor Beast later in the month!!

Might see you there, (I'll be on a grey/silver Neil Pryde Alize)

Fin.
    Colnago Primavera 105
    Giant XTC Advanced XTR
  • Fin - You doing Lands End again? Would be good to put a face to a name!