Frames Identiti or Evil

cptplanet
cptplanet Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Ages since I've been here, ages since i've been riding and its been a nightmare.. I'm about to start it all again just need some help with deciding which frame to replace my Dr Jekyll ('02/03). Its either the Identiti 666R or Evil Faction.

http://www.identitibikes.com/products-details.php?id=FMIT6RK

http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/000118/page

I'm thinking the Identiti because it's British and maybe a bit stronger, but the Evil looks good and is £100 more rrp, if that means anything..?

I ride everything, street/trials,fr, xc

Cheers

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Evil looks very flexible & nicely made.
    Identiti looks good too & is British.

I'd go evil myself. Never ridden either mind!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • thanks for reply! i'm leaning toward evil too after a bit of research. and i already have an identiti..

after extensive reading i think its down to which has the stronger dropouts and whether the 853 tubing (ST,HT,TT,DT, + 4130 chainstays) in the 666R has any major strength advantages over the taf 4130 cromo. The 666R is half a kilo heavier so if the evil is just as strong then i'd go for that..

cheers
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Put it like this, if the designs are equal-ish, and the 853 frame is half a kilo heavier than the 4130, you'd struggle to make a dent in it using dynamite. Seriously, I doubt you'd damage either, tbh. If I'd already got an Identiti, I'd go evil.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Neither are actually made in Britain.
    The Evil would be my choice, I have rode a few Identiti bikes, including the new Mogul downhill bike & I wouldn't buy any of them. Evil Faction is a really nice ride.
  • Ordered the Faction, hopefully get it built up next weekend!

Thanks for your help! just what i was looking for
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I was going to get an Evil just for the fun of it.

But correct me if I am wrong but don't they have frame issues? Also the company also went into adminstration a while bike?

After I did my research I was relieved that I didn't buy the Evil. I could be completely wrong.
  • Aye, yes I read that too...both frames were less than half price so as I already have an Identiti frame I thought I would give the Evil a go. The company has been having problems, some issues with FS frames but I think the HT's are good. Their Imperial was a success. Good reviews on the Sovereign..and I wanted to try an Evil frame for years, couldn't resist at £240! Tbh I don't think Identiti have been doing too well either, 666 frames no longer in production and as far as I know no new models announced.. I hope I am wrong.

Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Evil had major problems with the Revolt downhill frames, most of them snapped! Their hardtail frames are solid & they are replacing the Revolt with the Undead carbon frame this year. The Revolt was great to ride when they didn't snap.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    quite a lengthy blog there about the ups and downs: http://2flat.net/2012/03/09/the-writer- ... hing-evil/
  • yep, read that. hope they manage to stay afloat.. all the best to 'em
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    cptplanet wrote:
    yep, read that. hope they manage to stay afloat.. all the best to 'em

Well after you read all that and still ask about the Evil, I am surprised.

I would never buy anything with the company in such trouble.