underpants

autourdefrance
autourdefrance Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
might sound like a silly question but do you wear underpants under padded cycle shorts
I do at present but they seem to be causing me problems ???

cheers
David

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    The chamois pad is meant to be against your skin.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    If its causing you problems, then you already have the answer :wink:

TBF, everyones different...i ride without pads and with underpants, can't say it causes me any problems...yeah, maybe a little uncomfortable after 50 miles but generally its ok. Point is i guess, find what works for you...everyones different.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Go Commando!!!

Simples :)
  • thanks for that, 2moro pants free, with some Chamois Cream then. I need to sort it out with 5000km ahead of me in August.
    www.autourdefrance.co.uk
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Commando every time!!
    Never understood why it's called "chamois" when it's some kinda man made fabric, mostlys.
    Finished
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Commando every time!!
    Never understood why it's called "chamois" when it's some kinda man made fabric, mostlys.

Used to be made of leather in the old days - so chamois leather. Ask any window cleaner :lol:

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Commando every time!!

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_shorts
    Historically, cycling shorts were made of knit black wool, which hides oil and grease stains, with a chamois leather patch inside the shorts in the crotch area, which reduces chafing from the bicycle saddle.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    I do know a bit about chafing form ultra walking (50 miles plus non stop). It is personal what works for one does not work for another. I find I get on with underpants that have flat seams better e.g. Underamour . Chafing cream really works and works best if you take action form the start. Your skin and body adapt somewhat so this is part of training for a long event. On all ultra events it will hurt somewhere nearly all of the time so I take pain killers (I am a wimp really). I save Codeine for when it is bad (get a prescription).

Now what I wonder is how to stop my 'man bits' form going numb after a long days ride (takes a day or two to normalise)??
    The Cycling Daddy
    might sound like a silly question but do you wear underpants under padded cycle shorts

cheers
    David
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098

cheers
    David
    It is, as you say, a silly question. You'd no more wear pants under cycling shorts than you'd wear a Bunny Girl costume to cycle in. Cycling shorts are carefully designed to a job, and have been honed over plenty of years to be the fine bits of kit that they now are. Putting a pair of Y-fronts in the way seems weird.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Mate of ours recently admitted to wearing boxers under his shorts and thought it quite normal-he`s weird.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    leshere wrote:
    I do know a bit about chafing form ultra walking (50 miles plus non stop). It is personal what works for one does not work for another. I find I get on with underpants that have flat seams better e.g. Underamour . Chafing cream really works and works best if you take action form the start. Your skin and body adapt somewhat so this is part of training for a long event. On all ultra events it will hurt somewhere nearly all of the time so I take pain killers (I am a wimp really). I save Codeine for when it is bad (get a prescription).

Now what I wonder is how to stop my 'man bits' form going numb after a long days ride (takes a day or two to normalise)??
    The Cycling Daddy

cheers
    David

You shouldn't experience numbness at all in that area. I'd suggest getting a bike fit done to make sure you're not doing lasting damage to the nerves around the family jewels!
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    In a similar vein (pun intended). How the hell do the pros take a leak whilst still in saddle?
    I just cant think how I'd get the old fella out with all that tight lycra.
    Do they kinda p1ss 'em selves?
    Finished
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Nax-ian wrote:
    In a similar vein (pun intended). How the hell do the pros take a leak whilst still in saddle?
    Like Paula Radcliffe and F1 racing drivers! I assume they go if they need whilst on the bike :mrgreen:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thanks for all your answers, went out today pant less, cream, 76kms and was fine.... so from now on its "Commando every time!!".
    Not sure you have notice I,m training for a 5000+km ride (one of the longest charity ride by a single person). Whilst I was riding this morning i thought hey if Lance can do a Twitter ride why can't I do a bikerader.com ride.
    how many riders can I get to join me on stage 20 http://www.ridewithgps.com/routes/1077455 special célébra joining me that day is Rory Underwood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Underwood

would love to know what you think?
    has there been a bikerader.com ride before
    all for Prostate Cancer
    cheers
    David
    http://www.autourdefrance.fr
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    CiB wrote:

cheers
    David
    It is, as you say, a silly question. You'd no more wear pants under cycling shorts than you'd wear a Bunny Girl costume to cycle in. Cycling shorts are carefully designed to a job, and have been honed over plenty of years to be the fine bits of kit that they now are. Putting a pair of Y-fronts in the way seems weird.

Now you tell me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    thanks for all your answers, went out today pant less, cream, 76kms and was fine.... so from now on its "Commando every time!!".

Only on the bike remember. Off the bike it's more of a lifestyle choice ;).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Nax-ian wrote:

short-commercial.jpeg
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361

I duct tape a length of hose pipe to the old fella so it fits out the bottom of me shorts. Good bit of tatical toilet time works wonders :shock: :D