So slow... Shame on me :-(

jmcc500
jmcc500 Posts: 33
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Just been out on the road bike for the first time since August (been out on the MTB 3 times in that period) and I can't believe how out of condition I am! Rode Brighton to Evans warehouse nr Gatwick. 38.6km, took me OVER 2 hours.

So, what should I blame? My condition (poor), the fairly brisk headwind, or gear ratios (running 39/52 and 13-23)?

Was reading the threads about joining clubs but I really need a serious injection of pace to do that!

Anyone else this slow? Will see how I improve over the next few months - should be an easy place to improve from!

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Someone slower than me :shock:

Never quite been that slow but not much faster. My slowest over 20miles was about 11mph. I like to blame the hills and headwinds for my slowness.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Your condition. 8 months is a fairly long time off the bike.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    That is a long time without going on your bike. As a new road bike user I didn't ride from November to March and lost all the fitness that I had worked so hard to get the previuos summer.

My first couple of rides were hard work but I started out gently with a few 10/15 mile runs and slowly but shorly the weight has come off and my fitness levels have improved.

Maybe you were a tad optimistic with a near 40km ride, I would have done a few shoter ones first. Also the wind was pretty strong today and at times it felt I was not really moving forward at all.

It will get better quite quickly I expect. If I can improve fitness levels then I know you will be able to.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ZoomZoom
    ZoomZoom Posts: 53
    It should be an easy baseline to improve from, I was doing similar speeds when I restarted just under a year ago.

Z
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Condition (or lack of it) and brisk headwind...
    Like you,up till last month ive been off the bike for the most part for 5 months. Ive found my average speed hasnt changed that much, but boy, any incline or headwind certainly hits me.
    Ive also not been doing the miles i used to, but that makes sense at first (but also reminds you you used to be able to do twice, three times the mileage for the same effort, its a bit galling)
    Keep at it, i feel my strength and stamina building with almost every ride, you will too.
  • I've been as slow plenty ! After 4 years I am only just now managing 15mph - stick in and dont worry it will come as long as you keep riding :D
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Slow is good,you're out of the house for longer :D
  • houndlegs wrote:
    Slow is good,you're out of the house for longer :D

+1 that man but don't tell my missus as I keep persuading her to let me upgrade to go faster but never get home sooner cause I just go further :D
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Also hindered by Crawley council's decision to put a pressed steel manhole cover on a corner on a cycle path. Fortunately I didn't hit the deck too hard, but could have done without it!

I'll try some shorter rides over the next week and see how I get on. As said, it was any kind of uphill gradient that really killed me!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Try doing some duel carraigeway repeats to boost your average speed
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Haha you're never going to let that poor lad who posted about DCs live it down are you?! :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rigged wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Haha you're never going to let that poor lad who posted about DCs live it down are you?! :D
    That's the second comment I've read on here. What's the joke?
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    suzyb wrote:
    Rigged wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

That's the second comment I've read on here. What's the joke?

Don't. Just Don't.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

I'd suggest not saying that wind up again....

No need to wind people up. At all.