best bang for buck trail tyres

Aquila
Aquila Posts: 32
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've got a Specialized camber comp it came with Specialized captain sport tyres @ 2.0

The main type of riding i do is all red/black trails Hamsterley, Kielder, Dalby etc i find the sport 2.0's a little twitchy so i'm looking for something a wider, any suggestions for the best bang for buck fit and forget tyre?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a42257 ... html?lg=en

Good all round tyre, and the black chilli stuff really does help the grip.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    So many opinions on what is a good tire, would be handy to know your preferences first IE do you like fast rolling, lots of grip?

I'm not a huge fan of conti's but many are.. For a cheaper tire minion front and high roller rear, at about £22bucks a pop are a great value alternative in 2.35 42a up front and 60a compounds on the rear
  • Aquila
    Thanks , I like the look of the conti's (well more the price really) what are the pros and cons between the 2.2's and the 2.4's
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    Just got two schable hans dampf for 50 notes...2.35.... Very light for the price too seem to be pretty good but I've only rode them once since it was dry...rained since I bought them... Not to great in the very wet, tarmac more so... But I'm happy with them. They huge cos there on my hardtail :)
  • combreakdown
    combreakdown Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    recently fitted conti RQ 2.2 on my trance lots of grip very large tyre bigger than HR 2.35 have to deflate rear to fit wheel mainly ride cannock and forest of dean
  • should read conti RQ 2.2
  • Aquila
    Well i went for the Conti Mt King 2's @2.4 i know they are wide for XC and trail riding but reading the review they only measure 2.2 across anyway.
    Big seller was the price £13.56 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-mou ... -mtb-tyre/ single wire bead but hey ho you pays ya money and all that.
    off up to do 3 days on the 7 staines routes so i'll let you know how i get on with them
    thx for all the replys folks
  • Please let us know how you get on with them, especially as they're the cheaper non chilli version which is hard to find reviews for.

I'm in a total tyre quandry and a review on them would be useful!!
  • Aquila
    had a great 3 days biking on the 7stanes the courses we rode were wet, dry and somewhere inbetween.

The mountain king2 2.4 felt strange on the bike after riding with capt sport 2.0 for the last 8mth and my first thoughts were I'd made a big mistake especially when after 20mins on the first day i got a snake bite puncture. continental state 50psi but i found this a little hard and reduced it to around 42psi no more punctures at 42psi.

Towards the end of the first days ride (Ae) i really started to get used to the conti's and the extra width and grip they gave me i noticed a big difference with the 2.4's on rocky stages more as the tyres just seam to bowl over the rocks with ease compared to the sports.

As most of my riding with my bike is trail riding I think i made the right choice as far as width goes, the wider tyre made me smile a little more and felt grippy. As far as best bang for buck goes, at £13.50 per tyre compared to more than double that for some tyres ........well make your own mind up on that score.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sounds like they're alright then.

But how the f... did you get a pinch puncture at 50PSI?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Interesting as I've never got on with Mountain Kings. Had them on a Zesty in a 2.4 and had no confidence in them, certainly the front. Sold the Zesty to a mate and he face planted at Cannock on a night ride when he lost the front (funny to watch but I almost steamrollered over him!). He sold them and bought a set of Fat Alberts which I've been using. On One were doing the for 15 notes a tyre which was a bargain.

It's all a preference thing it seems though. 42 psi still seems remarkably high though?