Downsides of a small frame

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I've snapped up the chance to grab a Meta 55 off a mate at a good price, the only (slight) concern I have is the frame size is a medium (up to 5 10", according to Commencal) and I'm a whisker under 6ft. Am I risking any injury etc from using a small frame (saddle positions fine), or is there any risk in terms of poor handling (it feels a little odd but not 'wrong' going downhills, but I'm used to riding a large Anthem so I'm guessing it could be that).
Any comments welcome - cheers!

Comments

• Depends on the proportions of the individual and the proportions of the bike.

I'm 6ft exactly and I usually buy mediums (although I'll try both M and L where possible) because I find the bike is generally more "chuckable". I like running my seatpost quite high then dropping it right out the way on the way down.

Either way, it's easier to make a small frame bigger than it is to make a big frame smaller.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you tried it yet? Frames differ a lot.

My medium Nomad has a shorter top tube than my small Carbon 456 for example!

Though that was the reason I got the small 456 as the geometry figures were too big on the medium. Still even at small, the reach is longer on the 456. It's actually just about right, but the Nomad feels slightly shorter, yet also works fine for what I use it for. If I wanted a long distance XC bike I'd perhaps be better with slightly longer.

Top tube length and head angle though are to me the key important bits. i.e. the reach and how steep or slack you like the bike.
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    Since getting back into mountainbiking most of the 'research' ive done, as well as advice from the better riders and bike mechanics ive spoken to points to buying "the smallest frame you can get away with".
    As pointed out above, with seatpost and cockpit setup, you can massively adjust how a bike rides, but not so much a frame thats too large.
    Out riding I see quite a few guys on frames that make them look like little boys on their big brothers bikes. Theyre losing that "chuckability" and standover advantage that many people believe admitting they would need a smaller frame would confer.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Thanks for the comments, it's probably just a case of getting used to a different bike (vs the large Anthem).
    Cheers!
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    gregwari wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, it's probably just a case of getting used to a different bike (vs the large Anthem).
    Cheers!

Take it on a twisty, slower, more skillful, bit of downhill trail - get up on your pedals and shift your weight around a bit and I bet you notice the advantages.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    On the down side, a smaller frame, with a long seat post can place your weight too far back when climbing - trying to keep the front planted can be problematic. Also, the front end can be really low and that can compress the chest when climbing. It can also place more stress on the neck.

Having said that, I used to ride 'medium' type frames, at 6'4", with a seatpost that made me look like a 'Mint Sauce' character! I loved this 'chuckability' they talk about. I also loved to climb big hills. The whole thing just felt so nimble and one the road it was like a TT bike.

However, after breaking my neck I can't get comfortable on a small frame any more for any length of time (but every so often I will nip out on SWMBOs mtd - for a short blast, just for old times sake!). Otherwise, I'd work hard to get the cockpit set-up right for a balanced climb on a diddy frame. But them days is gone for me!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • yuhang
    yuhang Posts: 6
    I like running my seatpost quite high then dropping it right out the way on the way down.
    hh.gif
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`m the same height as you and have an Anthem in large and an XTC in medium.
    The XTC is very flickable but the Anthem feels much more planted and stable.
    Downsides of the XTC having ridden the Anthem is that it feels as though it wants to launch me over the bars but it never felt like that until I rode the Anthem.

The Anthem does feel the more natural bike to ride of the 2,but like everything once you`ve been riding a while you tned not to notice.

Just wish Giant did an M/L size on their mountainbikes...........
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo