Stans rims, how the hell do you get tyres on?

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Just got a pair of the Superstar stans rims however I'm currently using schrader tubes so they don't fit through the outer hole in the rim. If I drill the hole out will this stop me from going tubeless in the future as the stans universal valves all seem to be presta types.

While I'm here does anyone know if the superstar rim tape that comes on the wheels can be used instead of the stans yellow tape?

On a plus side my new Rebas went on fine (I hope as I haven't test rode them!)

Cheers

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Inner tubes are cheap. Just get some presta valved tubes.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    absv wrote:
    Just got a pair of the Superstar stans rims however I'm currently using schrader tubes so they don't fit through the outer hole in the rim. If I drill the hole out will this stop me from going tubeless in the future as the stans universal valves all seem to be presta types

As above. Unless you have a really, really, really good reason for being averse to presta valves, then drilling is an unnecessary and possibly dangerous way of saving a a tenner, at most.
    While I'm here does anyone know if the superstar rim tape that comes on the wheels can be used instead of the stans yellow tape?

No it can't, if you mean to run tubeless.
  • absv
    Cheers guys. Got some new inner tubes but there's no way I can get the rear tyre on! The front took at least 30 mins to get on the rim and the back just won't go! I'm trying to put Kenda Nevegal's on but I tried some Specialized Fast Trak too and they're equally as tight!

Any ideas??.
  • Get some soapy water on a sponge and run it around the bead of the tyre and the rim.

And if you've not got some already, get some decent tyre levers.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    put the superstar rim tape straight in the bin, its utter shite. few wraps of decent electrical tape and they go on alot easier.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    when mounting the tyre, do 1 bead at a time, obviously, but make sure it sits in the recessed channel in the middle of the rim.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • absv
    Cheers guys, I was using park tools tyre levers. I've managed to get the Specialized tyre on the back as there is no way the Kenda is going to go on! Will get some stans tape soon and try tubeless as there's no hope of me being able to get the tyre back on the rim if I have a puncture when out riding!

I'm surprised you lot didn't hear my language from where you are :)
  • soapy water FTW! Get on it!

I've got the parktools levers too. Whilst it's hard to get excited about tyre levers, they are exceptional. Seem to be made of unobtanium or something*, they just will not break.

*I suspect they're actually made of some sort of plastic/resin rather than unobtanium really.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    You don't argue with them parktools levers they mean business.
  • absv
    soapy water FTW! Get on it!

I've got the parktools levers too. Whilst it's hard to get excited about tyre levers, they are exceptional. Seem to be made of unobtanium or something*, they just will not break.

*I suspect they're actually made of some sort of plastic/resin rather than unobtanium really.

I'm surprised they didn't snap the amount of pressure I was putting on them! I'll get some better rim tape and then try to get that Nevegal on the rear :twisted:
  • absv
    lawman wrote:
    put the superstar rim tape straight in the bin, its utter shite. few wraps of decent electrical tape and they go on alot easier.

Have you got Crests Lawman? If so what tyres are you running. I've just been reading up on tyre choices and it seems like very few will fit 'easily'. My worry is that although I may be able to get the tyres on at home I'll have no hope out in the wilds!!! I'm 50/50 sending the rims back for some Mavics at the moment!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    absv wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Have you got Crests Lawman? If so what tyres are you running. I've just been reading up on tyre choices and it seems like very few will fit 'easily'. My worry is that although I may be able to get the tyres on at home I'll have no hope out in the wilds!!! I'm 50/50 sending the rims back for some Mavics at the moment!

yep I have two sets, both running Schwalbe Nobby Nics, and they were fairly easy to put on, its still not easy and you need a decent pair of tyre levers, but its much, much easier than it was with the shitty superstar stuff, the one product I've ever had from superstar which is utter crap!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    absv wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't snap the amount of pressure I was putting on them! I'll get some better rim tape and then try to get that Nevegal on the rear :twisted:
    If you're using that much force, then something must me amiss.
    Are you putting the bead of the tyre in the central well of the rim? Unless you do that, it always will be a nightmare.
    The diameter of the rim is smaller in the central well, which is why tyre fitting works (tyres don't, or shouldn't, stretch)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get the bead started in the well, start at the top and work the tyre down with your palms.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • absv
    absv wrote:

If you're using that much force, then something must me amiss.
    Are you putting the bead of the tyre in the central well of the rim? Unless you do that, it always will be a nightmare.
    The diameter of the rim is smaller in the central well, which is why tyre fitting works (tyres don't, or shouldn't, stretch)

Due to the Superstar tape being in the way it's difficult to get the bead in the centre well, if I remove that tape I can't return them but if I don't it's a sod to get on and I'm not 100% happy. Catch 22 really. I've been reading that the 2012 Schwalabe tyres are slightly smaller so they're a bugger to fit onto the Crestas now too. I don't mind it being a difficult job at home but at the moment it's a two man job taking about 20mins to get each tyre on!

Normally I'd just try some new tyres but Ive just bought these wheels, cassette changing tools and a set of Rebas so I fear I'd be homeless if I spent anymore on the bike for a bit :wink:
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    the tape is making it hard?? blimey how thick is the tape?

the tape is sticky so you should be able to reapply it after you peel it off. dont worry about that tiger.

yes 2011/2012 schwalbes are a very tight fit on crests. 2010 and older tyres are fine though.

i did have a specialized purgatory tyre that was a pain to fit and did not seat properly, so i got rid.

all the other tyres i have tried, (2010 nobby nic, spesh eskar, WTB wolverine) all went on with just my hands, no levers needed.

have a look on youtube for videos about fitting tyres onto stans rims. there is an art form to it. once you've got the technique its easy.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • bigj205
    bigj205 Posts: 31
    I'm running Crest rims with Specialized Purgatory tyres and they went on fine, without levers or lubrication.
    There is a definite knack to it though.
    Cheers

John

Offroad: Turner 5 Spot, The all mountain machine !
    Kona Kula Gold XC race bike.
    On Road: Planet X SL Pro Carbon, SRAM Red
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    start by throwing the Superstar rim tape in the bin! I had a similar problem with the wheels I purchased last year, ended up taking them to the local bike shop they replaced the Superstar rim tape with some from Continental which was a tighter fit on the rim, the tyres went on straight away. They are now running Stans yellow tape and tubeless, it's a pain to get started with but worth sticking with it.

In my experience continental tyres fit fairly easily although they take more sealant than others, Bonti mud X's go on without to much effort as well.
  • absv
    Cheers guys, I'll get some yellow tape tomorrow and give that a try. I've been watching a few videos from the Stans site and my technique is definately wrong, will give it another go keeping the bead in the centre well not on the shoulder as I did yesterday :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Scuse me, but did I not tell you that yesterday :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • absv
    Northwind wrote:
    Scuse me, but did I not tell you that yesterday :lol:

Haha, just replied in that thread! If it doesn't work I'll be making a trip up north for a first hand demonstration!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    give this a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Shows the correct technique of how to fit a tyre.
  • cube101
    cube101 Posts: 19
    try using a hairdryer on the tyre, not too close or too hot just to warm the material up... warm materials expand and will make it easier to fit.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    hairdryers, buckets of soapy water....

....what happens when you have a trailside incident, need to stick a boot in, or a tube to get home?

Stans rims should take most non UST tyres with relative ease if you drop one bead first in to the centre channel (the deepest part of the rim). Repeat for side 2.

I've managed to get a set of Nobby Nics, Rocket Rons and some Bonty Mud X's onto Crest rims by hand - except in one instance when I used a plastic tyre lever.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900

Which tyre levers have you got Cat? As Park seem to do two different plastic sets at around £2.70, then a metal set at £18
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • absv
    Mccraque wrote:
    hairdryers, buckets of soapy water....

....what happens when you have a trailside incident, need to stick a boot in, or a tube to get home?

My point exactly! I did,however, manage to get the back tyre on this evening in about 2minutes using a lever just once :oops: I haven't got a tube on,or any rim tape at the moment but it looks like technique is the key here, I may have to eat my words when the rim tape arrives :oops:
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    There's some handy videos on the Stans website, one even shows you the best way to whack a tyre on ;-)
  • Dont listen to all this soapy water and hair drier malarkey. get yourself down to B&Queu and purchase a 600mm crowbar-sorted , you can also put it in yr back pack next time yr on the trail in case you end up with a flatty.Or before you put the tyre on fill up all the empty space with old underpants and socks and you,ll never get a puncture. Ah the good old days-we were never beat then. hope this helps!