New AM wheelset - hope hoops?

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to buy a new wheelset for an all mountain build. Got up to about £400 to spend. Was thinking about the hope wheelset with ztr flow rims. I'm sold on hope hubs and they seem to come in at a decent weight to strength ratio with the option to go tubeless.

Any others I Should be thinking about (pref lighter)?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    At Superstar £350(ish) will get you a set of Switch EVO/Trizoid Enduro with ArchEX rims (lighter than Flows but still rated as an XC/AM rim) and double butted spokes. All in a choice of colours. I'm very happy with mine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...the £50 left will (nearly) get you a set of Conti BC Rubber Queens to go on 'em :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Just watch the flanges on the hope's seen a good amount of them crack.
    But will give them that there good on warranty and just replacing items
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    There is quite a bit of resistance in hope hubs-they dont spin as long as some others- and they arent that light for xc(for downhill they are fine though). Im a big fan of american classic hubs-significantly lighter than hope and hardly any resistance at all. You can get their "all mountain" set for £450 ish which comes in at 1550g claimed and has a really wide rim.
    If this is too much, there was a set going in the classifieds atm for £200 with not so good rims-you could rebuild them on to a flow rim for just under your budget.
    Edit: these have now sold, but if you look around you could probably find something similar for sale

If you cant, the superstar sets are also a good option. I worked out a set with evo front hubs, ti trizoid rear, cx rays, arch ex etc to be 1600g ish
  • leaflite wrote:
    If you cant, the superstar sets are also a good option. I worked out a set with evo front hubs, ti trizoid rear, cx rays, arch ex etc to be 1600g ish

I've got the regular trizoid hub on mine, otherwise with the exact specs you quoted above (alloy nipples too), and mine are 1,650g exactly, so your estimate of 1,600g should be pretty spot on.

I'd certainly recommend them anyway.
  • juancarlos
    juancarlos Posts: 2
    Hi,

I don't know if you're still looking for a set of wheels, but there's a bargain on a brand new set of ZTR Flow rims, with Tune King Kong hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, for £306.