Timing Chips

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
How do timing chips normally work on sportives when it comes to feed stops etc? Do they continue to count up your time or do they pause until you leave the zone and get back on the course?

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They'll sometimes do a split time at the feedstops but the clock doesn't stop. Hence you get quite a few people who don't bother with the feedstops at all! Not sure why they can't just set it so that you get two overall times - one total and once cycling.

Still, if you have a computer you are covered for the latter anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    some pause but most dont - it means an extra faff of putting down the mats at the entrance/exit of the feed stop. To complicate it some rides even have a gun time and chip time, the tour ride last year had this - but toanswer your question I think its all down to the individual sportive organisers
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    Crescent - don't make the mistake that I did on my first sportive. Timing chips (generally) measure elapsed time, not ride time. So my 4 hr 17 ride plus two feed stops turned into a 4hr 30 final time.