Moving from a Compact to Standard

Mike39496
Mike39496 Posts: 414
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
I've recently started TTing and i'm finding that I top out the gears on my compact alot of the time. What is the best way to go about getting larger front chain rings? I've had a read around and it seems the highest you can go is 52 in the top then it would have to be at least 36 in the lower with 110BCD. Will it be as simple as switching the chainrings on both or will I have to move around the front mech and adjust it accordingly? Also i've seen that the chain might not be long enough so can I simply put a couple more links in? (it's a KMC 9 speed if that matters).

If anyone has seen anyone good deals on say a 52-38 set of chainrings that would be much appreciated too, i'm watching a set of Q rings on ebay which are 53's.

Cheers

Comments

• 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    PM Sent.
  • Mike39496
    Im not looking for used chainrings, cheers anyway
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    You could always change the cassette to one with an 11 tooth sprocket - easier and probably cheaper.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Yes just looking to do this too, spa cycles sell a 53 for £29 i'm going to keep my 34 on, I love hills.
    Read a few reports will get back in a week and let you know.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    banditvic wrote:
    Yes just looking to do this too, spa cycles sell a 53 for £29 i'm going to keep my 34 on, I love hills.
    Read a few reports will get back in a week and let you know.

Be careful though. The shifting could not be nice with such a big gap between rings (53/34). But I've never tried this and I would never do so, I can't really comment...
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    i would go for an 11 rear first
  • Mike39496
    kfinlay wrote:
    You could always change the cassette to one with an 11 tooth sprocket - easier and probably cheaper.

I already have an 11-26 cassette on the back going up at the front is the only option.

Will I also need to extend the length of my chain and move the braze on up?

I can take a picture of the chain in large-large so you can see how much slack I have if that helps.

Cheers

Mike
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    50x11 at 120rpm is over 42mph, good stuff if you've only just started TTing. Most front mech's can't handle more than a 16 tooth difference so 53-34 is a bit of a no go assuming you want to change up to the 53 without getting off the bike.
  • Mike39496
    thegibdog wrote:
    50x11 at 120rpm is over 42mph, good stuff if you've only just started TTing. Most front mech's can't handle more than a 16 tooth difference so 53-34 is a bit of a no go assuming you want to change up to the 53 without getting off the bike.

Since you've put it like that i'll have a go at trying to increase my RPM up a bit and save myself £70 or so :wink:

Then if that doesn't work i'll just get some Q-Rings for my birthday :D

Cheers
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I think a cadance comp and focusing on that may be well worth it. I too thought I kept running out of gears when I started by riding in much more experianced and tallented company at a club I relised I was spinning far too slowly. One cadance comp later I found I was spinning at a lowly 70 RPM and now Im up to 90-95 I dont have any issue. Feels like hard work at first until your CV fitness really picks up but then it is much easier on your legs. As a rule of thumb, slow spinning is heavy on the legs and easy on the lungs, and fast is hard on your lungs and easyer on the legs.

Hence spinning faster requires better CV fitness but allows you to ride faster further as it uses less energy.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Just an update on the 53 34 set up ordered a 53 110 dcb from Spa cycles Monday morning, arived today.
    Fitted 53 tooth ring, only problem is when the chain is on the front 34, slightly rubs on 53 when on 11 or 13 tooth.
    Haven't tried it on road yet but changing realy smooth and no problem with chain length/ slack.