New Bike - change tyres?

wkdfaerie
wkdfaerie Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
G'Day,

Newbie here, just upgraded to a Cube Axial Pro from my Apollo Exceed, only been riding for a few months and *need* to go faster :D

The Cube came with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres that a friend said were more close to a racing tyre and to be really careful in the wet and taking corners as they have no tread. Any recommendations on what would be more suitable for training rides of 40 - 60kms and the occasional racing event?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Lack of tread is a complete irrelevance. Tread on car tyres prevents aqua planing; on a bike you need to be doing nearly 200 mph before it becomes an issue. No tread = more rubber on road = good.

If you want to buy some new rubber look at the latest Mich Pro 3 tyres. Others will be along soon to advise that you buy whatever tyre they're using.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Nothing wrong with your tyres for training and novice racing. The only bike tyres that need tread are off-road and ice tyres. As said above, you won't aqua -plane on a bike tyre (they're narrow and have a curved profile, unlike car tyres). Manufacturers actually only put a light tread on some road bike tyres because of people like your friend who don't understand the concept of a slick bike tyre!

Just to keep CiB happy, I recommend Vittoria pro-slicks!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    wkdfaerie wrote:
    G'Day, Newbie here, just upgraded to a Cube Axial Pro from my Apollo Exceed, only been riding for a few months and *need* to go faster

Mrs T has the axial pro with these tyres, she says if you want to go slower change them to ones with tread to give you more resistance if not, leave a perfect bike alone. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I use Schwalbe Ultremo ZX on my road bike doing 20 to 60 mile runs twice or three times a week, not had a problem in all sorts of weather.
  • Thanks all, still taking all of this in. I guess I was more concerned about having a stack due to inexperience (only done about 600km road riding). Will see how it goes!

Thanks for your advice :) Undoubtedly, I'll be back asking for more!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Why not ride the bike as is and see how it goes, and if you really don't get on with those tyres, then you know what to do.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I find Ultremo's to have very good grip in the wet. I'm also pretty impressed that the bike came spec'd with a tyre at that level. You do not need to change them - you have a good choice, your mate doesn't understand tyres.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/