Cube Elite 29 Super HPC

kojiro321
kojiro321 Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm thinking about to pick up this bike http://www.cube.eu/en/29er/elite-29-super-hpc/ , I did a lot of research on the internet regarding cube carbon frames themselves (as the they are pricey , the cost is about 2500 UK dollars xD), but couldn't find any bad thing. I was about to pick it up, but had a conversation with supplier and he said that they only provide 3 year warranty for the frame and 5 year for alumiunium frames. So I asked why and they did not told me the truth I think, they just said that thats how it is, they can't give longer warranty than manufacturer. So here is my question, does anyone have experience with those Cube top carbon frames ? And is it true, that carbon frames are very afraid of crashes/hits and they can be easily cracked ? Not sure about the weight it can handle, but I think it must be stronger than alumiunium frames ? Can you please share your pros/cons and even doubts regarding carbon frames ?

Cheers.

Comments

• legacydan
    legacydan Posts: 62
    im not sure they are stronger than aluminium but definitely lighter, from my experience with carbon fiber car parts of it gets damaged its binned, very difficult to repair back to full strength. is there much of a weight saving in the carbon version over aluminium?
  • legacydan wrote:
    im not sure they are stronger than aluminium but definitely lighter, from my experience with carbon fiber car parts of it gets damaged its binned, very difficult to repair back to full strength. is there much of a weight saving in the carbon version over aluminium?

Thanks,
    I would prefer going for carbon, but I've a lot of doubts in my mind so looking for the answers.

The difference between carbon and noncarbon version is around 1400pounds~
  • legacydan
    and what would be the difference in weight between them?
  • legacydan wrote:
    and what would be the difference in weight between them?

Weight difference between 2.5 - 3kgs. But I would definitely would go for carbon, I just need to make sure that the frame wont break from the first or second fall. Also, I'm a bit heavy myself now, around 120kgs, but I think it shouldn't be a problem for high end carbon, isn't it ?
  • legacydan
    is the 2-3 kg really worth 1400 quid? might be cheaper to loose 5kg yourself, im about 105kg myself so if its weight saving your after i dont think the carbon vs alu frame is the best use of money, unless money is no object! i lost about 6-7kg in the first 2 months of using my Cube, couple of times a week. If its for competition use then ignore anything i said as i have no experience in this area!
  • Its not about weight, its all about satisfaction :) For some reason I feel that I need carbon, but I don't know if carbon would be the best option, I heard saying that those high end carbon bikes are for events only, when they finish doing their job on the tournament, they go for long rest and break. By the way, what bike you own ?
  • legacydan
    if carbon makes you happy, go for it! i just have a Cube race ltd hardtail. will upgrade to a full sus next yeat maybe
  • But what about stiffness and crack resistant features of carbon frame ?
  • legacydan
    kojiro321 wrote:
    But what about stiffness and crack resistant features of carbon frame ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12579752

This might help
  • Thanks, looked really useful. I have resurrected that thread, lets wait and see how it will go.
  • I decided to not go for carbon, its not crash resistant as alu is (if you break carbon frame you trow it away), based on info I gather on the internet the average lifetime of carbon frame is 4 - 6 years and of course its so damn expensive, I think there are more important things which requires money investment than high-end bike for amateur rider.

Thats all,

thanks for your help ;)