Which mudguards will fit specialized elite

willo78
willo78 Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have a 2012 specialized secteur elite bike, not sure which mudguards will fit this, can anyone help. I only need a guard for the back really.

Thanks

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Visit Mr Crud.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have the 2010 Secteur Elite (which won't be too different) and the SKS Raceblade Longs fit very nicely. None of that flippy floppy nonsense with Cruds but that stability comes at a small price in weight. I only bother with the one (long) section for each wheel.
  • willo78
    Brilliant, thanks for the advice.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    willo78 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a 2012 specialized secteur elite bike, not sure which mudguards will fit this, can anyone help. I only need a guard for the back really.

Thanks

Why do you only need a guard for the back? The back guard protects mainly those behind you - the front is the one that protects your feet from a soaking and your transmission from premature wear. Call me selfish but I'd prefer to protect myself from the rain before those behind me :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • willo78
    My backside is the thing that is the biggest problem, I'm not sure if the gaps in the my seat is getting much through.

Having looked at crud and the other one mentioned, I think I may just carry a spare set of shorts, since I am commuting, I usually have a bag with me.

Lee
  • rolf_f
    I'd always recommend proper, full length guards, crud or not, if you are commuting in all weathers. You will get much more water hitting you from the front wheel rather than the back and it really does make a difference to the life span of the drive train. Makes it easier to keep a clean bike as well and reduces maintenance. Otherwise you might want to carry a spare pair of shoes and socks as well!
  • KINGGARY
    KINGGARY Posts: 89
    I use sks raceblade longs on my roubaix, I get along with them better than crud racers as they are proper mudguards and release quickly only leaving a couple of mounting brackets.
    I think the secteur is similar geometry so they should fit fine.
    A bit more expensive than the cruds but in my opinion a lot less annoying.
  • willo78
    Ok, mudguards are back on, think I'll try the sks raceblade longs, do you know
    If there easy to fit or not?

Thanks
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    willo78 wrote:
    Ok, mudguards are back on, think I'll try the sks raceblade longs, do you know
    If there easy to fit or not?

Thanks

Yes, fairly easy although you do have to be fairly comfortable about slackening off the brake bolts and then retightening/adjusting.

As posted, I only use the one long section for each wheel (definitely recommend doing both wheels because, like the other post, I find that a massive amount of water kicked up onto your feet can make for an unpleasant ride). Also, I found 'untabbing' to be impractical. The manufacturers recommend that you leave the tabs on the wheel dropouts and then just unclip the guards when not in use but this would make punctures a blinking 'mare (the little tabs would fall off and you would run out of hands trying to refit). Hence, when the guards are not in use I leave the brake bridge in place, unclip the tab near it but then remove the rest of the guard with the wheel tabs too. Little springs go back on the skewer when the guards are not in use as they are there to centre the wheel on the QR skewer, which makes wheel changing (punctures, travelling etc.) much easier.

Always double check your QR tension after adjusting/fitting/removing, but I guess that advice holds good anyway.

I also used some superglue to fix the fixing 'bolt' that holds the rubber tail onto each section as the little washer things just fell off on the first ride.

So, a little fettling but the SKS Longs are very sturdy and work very well in that they offer a good coverage (very good for clubrides, etc.) yet can be removed/replaced in a couple of minutes.
  • rolf_f
    The advantage with Crud Racers is that they are light and discrete enough to leave on all the year round. It rains plenty often in the summer and, as I commute on the Ribble, I found in the end there was no real point to taking the Cruds off at all. But then I think the bike looks cool with them on!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I ride a secteur comp and after much trial-and-error, the only guards I could get on were SKS Raceblades XL - slightly different to the ones recommended above in that mine strap on with rubber bands and are very quick to get on and off requiring no loosening of brake bolts etc as with the others.

They fit very snugly and are stable (I.e. not flappy / flimsy at all) and look pretty good. Oh, and they do the job pretty well too!

Mine are black:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/
  • Mike1951
    Mike1951 Posts: 1
    I've just fitted the Crud Mk2's to my Secteur Elite and the only way I could get the rear guard to stop rubbing the tire was to hike the stay lugs about halfway up the stays. Even then, the sweet spot is incredibly precise and I would not be at all surprised to find that it gets lost very quickly on tomorrow's first commute with these guards. I have had to use the shorter of the attachements also, otherwise the long one just looks completely silly stuck out the back of the bike, as the guard itself is raised so high off the tire behind the brake...

I am running 25mm tires, so my advice is use 23mm's, otherwise you won't get a good fit.