Wolf Ridge - Ressurection Forks Q's

Johnnyvee
Johnnyvee Posts: 67
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
From my earlier posts going to update the Wolf Ridge (2000 year model) as per previous post.

The Manitou X-Verts asi recall have around 100mm of travel.

I'd like to go for Coil forks again - how much difference will it make to the handling if I were to go with 120 or 140mm or travel and would i notice? And depending on this what would be best up to say £300?

I know air forks will be lighter but with my weight it's not really going to be that much of an issue... :lol:

Thanks for all help and being a newbie on here have to say i'm very impressed with how much you guys know.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The xverts were pretty long I think. Changing to a 120 might not make any difference to geometry. 140 will make some difference but probably not a disaster.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't go longer and I would go for some dual air rebas.

Xvert AC about 470mm
    Reba AC about 470mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Johnnyvee
    Johnnyvee Posts: 67
    Considering that my current forks are old and on their way out and 12 years old, is it still the case that coil forks are far more plush than air forks? I have seen some nice coil forks that seem to have adjustable travel which would mean I can take the 140 travel option or less depending on how it makes the bike feel.

Or would air seem as plush to me with the obvious advances in technology. Testing different types of forks seems very very difficult.