Walking in a SPD SL shoe.....

bagz3
bagz3 Posts: 253
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Would walking across a concrete surface damge the cletes on a SPD SL shoe. I'm not talking long distances as i know these shoes are not pratical for walking. If i was to walk maybe 20 metres just to get from A to B.
You get the idea anyway. So are the cletes or sole of the shoe likely to become damaged?

Comments

• Don't worry, I doubt the sky will fall in. 20 metres will be fine. Just avoid polished surfaces.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    In a year or 2 it may wear the cleat enough for you to have to replace the cleats. That's why they bolt onto the shoe and aren't part of the sole, so that they can be replaced.

Don't worry, they are made to be walked in for short distances, like going to the shed for your bike and walking it up the garden path.
  • gakko
    gakko Posts: 59
    If you are concerned about the wear you can get compatible 'look' cleat covers, approx £7. Although not really justifible for 20meters, as it will take you longer to put them on and take off than actually walk distance.

Worth considering for cake stops and emergency though.
    Slowly but surely! :)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    After my one and only clipless moment I had to walk 2 miles with my bike frame over one shoulder and rear wheel tucked under the other arm. Still wearing the same cleats now.

Don't worry about it. Cleats are cheap and easily replaceable.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    SPD-SL are one of the best for walking in. It only wears the yellow pads and they last ages. Fairly non slip too. The actual clip-in bits are not affected by walking.
  • Wobbler72
    Wobbler72 Posts: 31
    +1 for John.T

Don't worry :)
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    OK unless you have to walk on gravel to get to the road as I do. I trashed a set of SPD SL cleats in no time at all and always used the cleat covers thereafter. Now I've switched to SpeedPlay pedals, the covers are a must or I'd be spending half my earnings on cleats. :cry:
    Purveyor of "up" :)