Going Dutch - Flat Bar shifters

Mark2Bikes
Mark2Bikes Posts: 127
edited April 2012 in Workshop
I want to convert my old steel 853 road bike to flat bar for a Motor home trip to Holland / Belgium - need to look like a local! It has 9 speed campag Veloce shifters, mech and cassette from about 2001 (current bikes are all Shmano, we'll see if they last that long). What are the options for flat bar shifters to use please? Campag Veloce ones are pretty rare used and expensive new. Are there any Shimano / Sram ones which will work with maybe a few tweaks and change of spacers maybe?
Next option would be to use a spare 10 speed shimano wheel and cassette I have, but then I'd probably need to change the rear mech too - right?
Thanks for any ideas
Mark

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mark2Bikes
    Mark2Bikes Posts: 127
    Thanks, I had a look at those, several times, I'm sure they work, but if it looks like I'll have to use common and cheap shimano flat bar shifters, then for the same price as a Shiftmate I can get a whole new Tiagra rear mech and use a shimano wheel & cassette I have spare.
    Just thought there might be, by some miracle, a cheap and cheerful flat bar shifter that would work without changing / adding anything else?