Knee and elbow pads

ghostface
ghostface Posts: 21
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
After taking a couple of trips over the handle bars I think it's time for me to get myself kitted up with with some protection gear. What I'm after are knee and elbow pads, maybe some shin pads too. What do you guys recommend? I'm not looking for the best of the best, but wouldn't spending a bit more for good quality gear. :D

Cheers!

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I use 661 Kyle Strait Knees and 661 long sleeve Subgear

Kyle Strait's are very good, comfortable protection. The Subgear will only really fend off cuts, grazes, scrapes and minor bruising but it's very light and you forget you're wearing it (even during Alpine summer climbs to 2000m+)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Fox launch pro knee guards and 661 rhythm elbow pads. Decent knee protection, adequate elbow protection and very comfortable. No rubbing or slipping from either.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    +1 for fox launch pro knee pads, very comfortable.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I hardly ever wear elbow pads because I just can't find any that are truly comfortable but I have found IXS Hack elbow pads to be decent enough and are super cheap. For knee pads I use Kyle Straights, good protection, very comfortable and can be found pretty cheap of you look around.
  • legacydan
    legacydan Posts: 62
    is there anywhere that still sells the Kyle straits? only ones i have seen is youth versions. What are their 2012 equivalents and are they as good?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I think the 'Rage' has replaced the KS - but I could be wrong.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • kagefisk
    kagefisk Posts: 74
    legacydan wrote:
    is there anywhere that still sells the Kyle straits? only ones i have seen is youth versions. What are their 2012 equivalents and are they as good?

Plenty (new) on eBay.
  • Bigun6767
    Bigun6767 Posts: 81
    If i were you i would do as much research as possible...i didn't,to my misfortune! :x
    Go for pads that have fasteners top and bottom.I had 661 Riot knee pads that continually needed repositioning due to only having a upper fastener...the one time they needed adjusting was just before i came off on the black run at Llandegla..(two visits to the operating theatre and 7 stiches across my right knee....Still R&R'ing at the moment)..So more time spent getting your choice right now will keep you out on your bike.Oh and by the way,dont restrict yourself on price.They will soon pay for themselves.
  • legacydan
    are the Kyle straits only soft foam protection or do the have a hard cap over the knee?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    they ahve a plastic cap..

ime the kyle st are ok they comfy to wear and you can pedal in them with out restriction, but and its a big but they dont stay inplace when you need them,, they get ripped off your knee under impact...
    mine are the older one though from 09...

i replaced my k/s with tld tbones much better pad these things dont move when riding and stay inplace under impact.
  • legacydan
    hmm, i thought the Kyle straits were the best, i just canceled by ebay order on them until i figure out which to go for. i currently have the EVS Glider Knee Pad, they are a bit small for me and uncomfortable going up hill because of this. I'll check out the TLD ones. No good bike shops near me unfortunately where i can try these on as the selections are limited to the uber expensive POC stuff!

Sorry for thread hijack OP!
  • kagefisk
    kagefisk Posts: 74
    legacydan wrote:
    hmm, i thought the Kyle straits were the best, i just canceled by ebay order on them until i figure out which to go for. i currently have the EVS Glider Knee Pad, they are a bit small for me and uncomfortable going up hill because of this. I'll check out the TLD ones. No good bike shops near me unfortunately where i can try these on as the selections are limited to the uber expensive POC stuff!

Sorry for thread hijack OP!

You can always find some who have had a bad experience with any product. KS are still some of the best reviewed pads by both users and magazines. But wise to cancel the order if you are not sure yet.
    By the way; yes, they do have a hard cap over the knee, but it's quite flexible.
  • legacydan
    thanks for the info, seller didnt mind me canceling. Only ones in the local cycle superstore are POC and Gform. Gform ones seem comfortable but look like they dont provide the most protection, the POC ones are 120 euro+! I just dont want to end up with another pair that dont fit great if i buy online! probably narrowed down these few:

661 Kyle straits
    TLD tbones
    Fox launch Pro
    661 rage
  • delcol
    the poc stuff is really good i run poc elbow pads they amazing these thisngs stay put under umpact..
    as for the k/s like i said mine were the older ones from 09.. they are comfy you forget you wearing them after 5 mins but i found they did not stay put when you need them.. not only in my own experience but friends and fellow riders i seen several riders in whistler bike park gash/cut there knees cause from loosing k/s kneepads..

i never had the tld tbones ripoff on me yet in 18months of using them,, even when i had a massive off which left me with a broken clavicle and dislocated shoulder.. they even stayed in place when i didthis and this had me stumbling on my feet then sliding on my knees then running trying to keep on my feet... shame about the finger..

there are loads of good kneepads out there to choose from best bet is to have a look on the likes of mtbr at riders reviews...
  • ghostface
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    If i were you i would do as much research as possible...i didn't,to my misfortune! :x
    Go for pads that have fasteners top and bottom.I had 661 Riot knee pads that continually needed repositioning due to only having a upper fastener...the one time they needed adjusting was just before i came off on the black run at Llandegla..(two visits to the operating theatre and 7 stiches across my right knee....Still R&R'ing at the moment)..So more time spent getting your choice right now will keep you out on your bike.Oh and by the way,dont restrict yourself on price.They will soon pay for themselves.

Can you recommend any with top\bottom fasteners? A link or two would be greatly appreciated.
  • delcol
    ghostface wrote:
    Bigun6767 wrote:

Can you recommend any with top\bottom fasteners? A link or two would be greatly appreciated.
    sure can
    fox
    these
    take your pick
  • ghostface
    delcol wrote:
    ghostface wrote:
    Bigun6767 wrote:

sure can
    fox
    these
    take your pick

Thank you. Have placed an order for some 661 2012 rage knee pads.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    G form pads are a good lightweight option, i have them and can reccomend them. £35 gets you a set of knee pads and you don't feel them when riding. Slip them in a normal wash with the rest of your riding clothes and theyre good to go for next time.