Cyclocross (Giant TCX 1) bike ok for distance?

sitonthis
sitonthis Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Thanks for reading. I would greatly appreciate any input from those who own cyclocross bikes. I was just about to purchase a Trek Madone 4.6, and a guy in the local bike shop recommended I check out a cross bike.

I have been riding a 2002 Specialized Hardrock as my go-to for everything over the last 10 years. I mean everything: daily fitness rides on paved paths (16-21 mi./per day averaging 16-17mph, 6 days a week when weather permits), commutes around town, longer 30 mi. crushed limestone and hard packed dirt rides, as well as a century last year (not recommended due to the mass amount of repetitive motion - good way to jack up your knees. Live and learn, I guess). However, I feel like I have outgrown that bike and need something that is more efficient and meant for these kinds of activities. It's been great to me, but I do enjoy longer rides; and really, anything over an hour in that saddle starts to hurt my arse and pelvic bones. It's just not an efficient machine meant to do what I'm using it for.

This is why I was ready to purchase a carbon road bike. I'd like to be able to ride for hours on end without that kind of discomfort. The only issue is that a road bike, according to numerous people, is meant for one thing: paved roads. It's good at that one thing and does it very elegantly. My last road bike was a 1980-something Fuji Regis. That hunk of steel would comfortably take me on 40 mile rides, over curbs & potholes, through grass and gravel and dirt without a second thought. Believe me, I wouldn't be posting on here if that thing still fit. However, it's too small. So, here I am.

Every bike these days seems to suit one and only one purpose, which is why I suppose the kid in the local shop recommended I look at cross bikes. But all I can find are mixed reviews. Road bike lovers say a cyclocross bike won't prove to be comfortable for long rides because of the aluminum frames. This confuses me since there are aluminum framed road bikes made by every major manufacturer that sell like hotcakes because of the price point. So what's the difference if you slap a set of 25's on a cross bike before riding road with it? Will the position in the saddle make it uncomfortable over the long haul? Others say bikes like the Giant TCX 1, although race oriented, make great all-arounders that can do everything a road bike can do and more (but maybe not quite as quickly). I feel very comfortable on both the Madone and TCX from a geometry standpoint. I know the center of gravity is a little higher on the cross bike. I know the brakes aren't as precise. Those things don't really phase me. The center of gravity is higher on my MTB than a road bike, as well, and that thing has linear brakes. I'm used to it. The weight difference between the Madone and Giant is all of 1.5lbs, which doesn't seem to be devastating. So, I pose this question: if I swap out the cross gear setup with something more suitable for road (50/34, 11-32), will the TCX make a comfortable and capable machine good for everything a road bike can do...and then some? Or not so much?

Your comments and advice are much appreciated.

Comments

• By the way, I'm a 38 year old male, if that makes any difference.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your position on a CX bike should no different from a road bike - many CX bikes have a BB height similar to road bikes so make little difference to handling - it's only dedicate CX 'race' bikes that tend to ride a little higher. The biggest comfort factor is tyres and being able to run a 28mm or 32mm tyres will make a huge difference over rougher surfaces. With regard to your seating pain, a difference shape of saddle and decent shorts can make a huge difference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    from the sounds of it you should go for a CX bike one bike to do it all! if you really wanted to be picky you could have 2 sets of tyres, one slick 23c set and a 28/32 nobbly set for example to use depending upon ride types. but a CX bike will go easily long distances like road bikes but will also to XC mtb stuff. you can even do trails on them too, i do a local red route trail but then jump off and run parts because a CX bike cant do jumps/drops and such. but its like a CX style race then so its great training! haha so id go CX, see how the gearing is stock then go from there, if riding is un comfy then getting propper shorts, saddle and position of le bottom would be a good idea to check :)
    Ben
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I'm fortunate to have a road bike and a cx and there is no reason at all the cx bike won't fit the bill for you. I use a caadx105 for wet weather and training rides and swop the wheels to suit. The only real hassle is swooping the cassette over and maybe adjustment to the brakes. My caadx is a little high on the front for my liking but I intend to change the brake hanger onto the fork which will allow me to drop the bars lower.

If I can only have one bike I'd have the caadx . Get yourself some lighter road wheels and your sorted. The 36/46 chain set means you spin a bit but with a 12/28 cassette on the back I manage ok. And can climb any hill I can on my carbon.

I see your swaying towards the tcx which is a nice bike but the cad is worth a look too
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I know its not a cycle mag, but Outdoor fitness rated the TCX1 over the spesh and whyte saying it was the better off road than on the road. Fancyed one my self but got a rockhopper as already have a road bike.Are you keeping the Hardrock, if so think i'd go for the road bike and fit 700x25 if i thought the 23 uncomfortable.As for swopping all the bits on the Tcx to road bits i think all those commuters using cyclocross bikes on the road cant be wrong.Hope my ramblings help.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you need to get your position sorted really.

If your bike is agony over an hour - then something is very wrong with it.

I've used my cross bike for 100m+ spOrtifs and for an ironman race. Just as comfy as a road bike.
    Road bikes can cope with more than smooth roads though. Look at Paris Roubaix coverage.