Bike rack

Epic Lolzzz
Epic Lolzzz Posts: 15
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Just purchased my first ever road bike, Mekk Poggio P2 2012 and seeing as I'd spent quite a lot on my 1st one I want to make sure I look after it! My friend said I need to keep it on a rack rather than just sticking it in the garage, so any suggestions for a decent wall mounted rack that's not very pricey but comes quite far out as to keep off the wall?

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Funny you should ask this, I have just finished fitting a pair of these, from Halfrauds, one for my bike and one for the enemies bike.

Very easy to fit, took less than 10 minutes and they do exactly what is required.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242557
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    cadseen wrote:
    I dont understand why you have to put a bike on a rack to look after it :roll:
    If its required to save space then thats fair enough.

7eab65b5ab11bcec

I was assuming the OP wanted it on a rack to stop it falling over or summat. In my case, garge is space is limited with two motorcycles, two drum kits, and other garage related paraphanalia. The two racks I fitted are double decker'd to save space. Rather pleased with them eckshoooally.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • I have loads of room in my garage, it wasn't a space saver it was just my friend who has also has just started said he read online that they should be stored on bike racks, something to do with prolonged time damaging the wheels. I mocked him at first but he's put one up so I assumed he was talking sense. If that's not the case I'll just spend the money on something else!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Best get your mate to ride it around on sky hooks then, wouldn't want the wheels to contact any hard surfaces ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ha, that's what I was saying to him but he was adamant that storing it just on the ground on the same position gravity, would "square" the rims. Can I cross this idea off the checklist then and my bike will be safe on the ground?? :shock:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you are going to store it for many months at a time without moving it then there is an argument for storing it off the floor, taking the wheels off, letting the air out etc etc.

On the other hand if you are only talking a few days or weeks between trips out then I personally would not be worried.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    There is some thought that leaving the bike standing for long periods can damage bearings. But it would take many many years, and the lube would have dried up before the bearings became flattened.

if you look after the bike, use it regularly and don't store it wet or with flat tyres, then no harm will come to it.

I put mine on £2 halford hooks. just to save space in my shed. Got 5 bikes hanging across a 6' wall.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Hanging it up could make the wheel go pear shaped and stretch the frame. Standing it for long periods of time on the ground came induce a flat spot on the bottom(?). I would suggest a space in a king size bed, next to you, is the best place for your new bike, ektuly. :wink:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • I've got a tiny, brick built, coal shed and was worried where I might store mine, will look into those hooks.

It needs a light in there so I suppose I could 'mount' the bike and set up some spotlights in some sort of 'shrine' fashion.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As others have said, you don't have to store your bike off the floor, but if you want to then there is no reason to spend more then £3 on a hook. For example this one from Halfords is fine, or 2 for £4.07 from Amazon.

You hang them from the front wheel like this:
    lrg_4242009120658PM.JPG