Magic Roundabout (Hemel Hempstead)

littleprawn
littleprawn Posts: 135
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Afternoon guys,

I have driven 'round' this crazy roundabout in Hemel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roun ... _Hempstead) and it is a terrible design. It must be one of the worse roundabouts for cyclists or are there others?
Cannondale CAADX 5 105
Trek T10

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Pah, a johnny-come-lately* to the original:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roun ... Swindon%29

I've ridden over the swindon one quite a few times. Quite fun TBH.

* ok by a year
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Afternoon guys,

I have driven 'round' this crazy roundabout in Hemel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roun ... _Hempstead) and it is a terrible design. It must be one of the worse roundabouts for cyclists or are there others?
    Ridden around it many times... its not so bad, just need to keep your eyes wide open... esp if traversing it anticlockwise :lol:
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I use both Swindon and the Hemel magic round abouts regular,
    They are not as bad as people think, aslong as you know how to use a rounds about.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Despite its name, the magic roundabout is not actually magic,[citation needed]

good ol' wikipedia :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I live in Hemel Hempstead and have cycled/driven around it many a time.. Its really not a problem, at peak times it becomes a one at a time system, so as long as your quick off the mark you can shoot through.

The big problem is the braking down one of the hills that approaches it, always a tad more scary!
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I was doing a bit of design work nearby there last year and we floated the idea of a redesign of that roundabout with the council, as its unbelievably difficult for pedestrians/ anyone who isn't local to navigate safely.

The traffic guys said that when they modelled it the software simply couldn't take it's complexity and the amount of movements on it. Cos its really 6 (IIRC) small roundabouts in a circle and in the grand scheme of things traffic actually moves round it the opposite way to normal roundabout.

Basically you're stuck with it for the time being as its too complicated to redesign in any sort of logical way!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm not a local, but I have driven around the Magic Roundabout. It's not hard to navigate if you have a brain in your head.

I do wonder what a Sat Nav says as you approach it though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cheap copy - no wonder it doesn't work properly
  • Went round 1/3 of it again today :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    . Cos its really 6 (IIRC) small roundabouts in a circle and in the grand scheme of things traffic actually moves round it the opposite way to normal roundabout.

Traffic moves around it both ways. Its like a giant two way roundabout with a roundabout on each exit.

I think it works fine, give way to your right, use your indicators correctly and crack on.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Can't really see the problem, it's just a small ring road with a lot of roundabouts along it.

I find it much scarier crossing roundabouts on dual carriageways where drivers are crossing with an expectation that they won't have to slow down below 50mph