Ultegra Wheels Thoughts?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Ok so I have purchased a set of Ultegra 6700 wheels in grey, Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these. Does anyone else own this wheelset?

Also is there anything else complicated to the installation given the fact they are tubeless. Is it just a case of removing the screw on valve and then installing my tubes/tyres as normal. Once tubeless tyres become more available I will switch over to tubeless.

Also I have a claimed weight of 1630g has anyone actually confirmed this.

Cheers

Comments

• Hi, I have these and would recommend them. Good quality, weight as claimed, and run smooth.

Nothing complicated about the installation, same as any other clincher wheel, apart from they are a bugger to get clincher tyres on and off, they're tight as some wheels seem to be. I can usually remove and replace tyres without any tools, but struggle with levers on these wheels.

But, they are good quality wheels for what was a reasonable sale price at Planet X when I got mine last year. I've ridden on them through winter and will race on them through summer (TLI and possibly some 4th cat stuff). Plus of course you can put tubs on them too, though I have not felt the need to do that so far.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    They're a nicely made wheel with plenty of good technology - however, I had a nightmare getting normal clinchers on them (they're adv. as both tubeless & clincher compatible) - it was so bad that after 2 days of trying, I decided to sell them (I got quite unnerved by them re. clinchers) - some people manage to get clinchers on them succesfully, but there are plenty of horror stories within various online reviews. It's a shame really because the technology in them is excellent at that price point.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I've been riding a pair for a few months now. Very nice wheels, as far as my limited experience goes! :) Got them second hand with tyre and tubes already on, so haven't had the pleasure of tyre fitting yet.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    As above you'll need to use tyre levers and even then it can be difficult. I snapped a couple of plastic levers on them until the tyres were well used and had been on and off a few times and I'm usually fine with fingers only. They are good wheels though and good value at the price, just don't get caught with a puncture but no tyre levers!

If they are the claimed weight they'll be the first wheels in the history of cycling to manage that :lol:
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Interested to see what these are like as they come standard on the new 2012 Trek Madone 5.9 I have just put a deposit on :)

Not very bling but look classy in the gunmetal grey.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    The same ones are as on Deal of the Week? http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html

"The Hub uses angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls giving both radial and lateral support for superior strength and durability in real world riding conditions"

Sounds good to me :lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Routier
    Routier Posts: 94
    I'm really impressed with them after 8 months use - light, stiff and very smooth riding. I'm dreading getting a flat though; as people have said it's a biatch fitting tyres!
  • jameses
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    "The Hub uses angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls giving both radial and lateral support for superior strength and durability in real world riding conditions"

I have to say I really appreciated that ball-cradling action on some rough roads this morning! :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Bought a used set last month and am very impressed by them. Nicely built, especially the hubs. Mine are nearer 1700g but they're a year or three old. I got a nasty surprise when I found they'd only take a ten speed cassette as they were for my 9 speed tourer, but they were so nice I put them on a different bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I've waxed lyrical about mine here before. Raced CX on them with tubes then converted to them to tubeless. Never had any problems getting tyres on.

Only thing I've written about before is to get a couple 17mm cone wrenches as mine came badly adjusted, loosening the cones made the hubs much smoother.

I get rear NDS spoke loosening so got some loctite and that's a thing of the past. If anyone's thinking of buying RS20s or RS30s it's worth another £50-75 to step up to these. Life is too short to ride heavy flexy wheels. Our riding time is too precious.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • jameses
    unixnerd wrote:
    Bought a used set last month and am very impressed by them. Nicely built, especially the hubs. Mine are nearer 1700g but they're a year or three old. I got a nasty surprise when I found they'd only take a ten speed cassette as they were for my 9 speed tourer, but they were so nice I put them on a different bike.

I've got a 9 speed cassette on mine - did you actually try to fit one?
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    JamesEs wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Spec sheets on the wheels state they take 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Yes, I did. My wheels had the taller splines that only allow a ten speed to fit. Called a Dura-Ace hub I believe.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    The old version (6600) were 10-speed only (no spacer required with 10 speed cassette, no way of converting to 9-speed), and not tubeless compatible.

The newer ones (6700) are 8, 9 & 10 speed compatible and tubeless ready.