New rear wheel rim.

adzsubtract
adzsubtract Posts: 29
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am in the market for a new rear rim to replace my DT 5.1D that I was running on a Chris King hub. Unfortunately I have managed to damage it beyond repair at Cwmcarn this weekend. I ride trails/downhill and would like a rim that would be appropriate but able to take knocks better than the 5.1D has, (although I have had it years.) I would like it to be wide enough for a 2.35 tyre and tubeless ready. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    What have you done to the current rim, like really bad dings or what?

I would recommend a Nukeproof rim (same as the MTX 29 but cheaper) but it isn't tubeless ready. It's slightly lighter than a 721, strong and fairly cheap. I use one built onto a Pro II Evo hub on the back of my Marin and it's much better than the Superstar DH wheel it replaced. I have found it to be stronger and it is a fair bit lighter. Not been able to knock it out of true no matter how much I hammer it down the DH at Innerleithen or anywhere else but if you do manage to destroy it it's far cheaper than the competition to replace which is partly why I got it and not a 721 which is what I was originally going to get. I run 2.25 Crossmarks, 2.5 High Rollers/Minions and 2.4 Ardents no bother on it.