Vittoria Pave tyre pressures

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Any thoughts / advice on this? Just got a pair, based on soem raelly good reviews / user comments and seem idael for current wet and rough roads (gravel chip surfaces braeking up etc). So set tehm up with Vittoria rubber inner tubes (don`t want hassle of latex leaking air), 100 psi for my 80 kg rider weight.

Expecting smooth supple ride as others have reported, rather disappointed feel same as krylions , so am I running them too hard ? or expecting too much difference from Krylions?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Try 110. They are supposed to be run at at least 115 but that's a bit high really IMO.

If that doesn't work try 95.

If that doesn't work try Krylions.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I think you are expecting too much... blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to distinguish any of the tens of tyres i have run over the years.
    I could probably tell a 23 at 120 PSI from a 28 at 85, but I am not 100% sure
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    I think you are expecting too much... blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to distinguish any of the tens of tyres i have run over the years.
    I could probably tell a 23 at 120 PSI from a 28 at 85, but I am not 100% sure

That's because blinfolded you'd crash into the first obstacle ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I just got set to replace eom spesh tyres (All Conditions 25) I have the paves at 100 front
    120 rear but I am very heavy. The difference is incredible the improvement in comfort is astounding and I am seeing around 8 or 10% on my average speeds over routes I have been doing for years. I am delighted with mine.
  • JamesB
    The difference is incredible the improvement in comfort is astounding and I am seeing around 8 or 10% on my average speeds over routes I have been doing for years. I am delighted with mine.

well here`s hoping I can find the same in time, and when it`s less vile weather to push on with them :)

I`ll give them a go at 110, thought Nap D was a great fan of Paves ???
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Well, i weigh 79kg and i d nevr consider running them above 80 or 90 psi front or rear - one failure in 3k miles - i have found them to be a comfortable tire but thats about it, not as much grip in the wet as a conti 4 seasons (based on how easily the spin going up my fav hill) and on the rear the wear rate is high but for me a good frt choice.
  • JamesB
    thanks for that advice :) maybe 90 psi should be tried, as I always thought the higher the pressure the harsher the ride !; and as run my normal 23 Krylions at 100 psi , 90psi on a 24 tyre would seem sensible
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I just got set to replace eom spesh tyres (All Conditions 25) I have the paves at 100 front
    120 rear but I am very heavy. The difference is incredible the improvement in comfort is astounding and I am seeing around 8 or 10% on my average speeds over routes I have been doing for years. I am delighted with mine.

I know I am bring pedantic, but a 10% increase is equivalent to 18-22 Watts for the average cyclist. I don't think there is a tyre that can gift you with a 20 Watts advantage...
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    JamesB wrote:
    The difference is incredible the improvement in comfort is astounding and I am seeing around 8 or 10% on my average speeds over routes I have been doing for years. I am delighted with mine.

well here`s hoping I can find the same in time, and when it`s less vile weather to push on with them :)

I`ll give them a go at 110, thought Nap D was a great fan of Paves ???

He is.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I just got set to replace eom spesh tyres (All Conditions 25) I have the paves at 100 front

I know I am bring pedantic, but a 10% increase is equivalent to 18-22 Watts for the average cyclist. I don't think there is a tyre that can gift you with a 20 Watts advantage...

All I can say is honest its true - I have been riding the same 20-40 mile routes on my Sectuer since last Aug (rode the same routes but less distance on hybrid before that). If you wanted I could post Excel Spreadsheet of every ride - but - to summarise, dependant on distance, hills, weather etc I ranged from as slow as 12 or so mph and my main ongoing speed target was to reach 14 average on each ride. I sometimes made it but my average of averages was around 13.5 or so. Since fitting paves every ride has been over 15 mph.

I did post last Oct or so about Why am I not faster on new bike - much to my embarrassment now and needless to say I got pelters for being fat and slow and thinking I bought free speed with a Spesh Secteur! Among the general hilarity though a fair few posted that the OEM All Conditions 25 mm are particularly dreadful and hard to get to go fast. Maybe that's why I have seen such dramatic improvement with the paves?

EDIT

Although it may be that I was so shit to start with the scope for improvement was vast? I also wonder if the amazing improvement in comfort (it really is astounding how much better bike feels now) is somehow allowing me to tap into what little strength and fitness I have?

I should add I also fitted Vittoria ultralight tubes I got as a freebie with the paves replacing Spesh tubes so maybe that helped too?
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Another fan of Paves. Run mine at 110 on the fixed over the last two winters with no hassle at all. Confident in the wet and I've got 2000+ miles out of them. Well worth the expense. They'd have worn even better if I'd front to backed them at all. As it is front will go on the back and new front. 100kg of fat knacker here.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • JamesB
    :) well six weeks on and have had about 800 miles out of them, running at 90 psi (or 80 on very poor roads); tread wear holding up well (rear showing about half centre file tread worn now) and they`ve been on some very poorly surfaced (and unsurfaced :( ) roads, primarily Corsican.

Very comfy on the rougher surfaces, could just `ride thro` broken up surface not too rattled about; a fair few small cuts on rear but no punctures.

Overall very pleased with them , but only if can continue to get at at least 20% off RRP !!