Took a swing at an RLJ'er today

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I've just had enough of them. On my team's football forum the other day I got abuse because I revealed I was a cyclist, and loads of people posted on there how much they loathed cyclists, and RLJ'ing was the number one reason.

So when some prat on a Spesh piled through the lights outside Baker St (only to be held up at lights 50 metres down the road) I lost my rag and took a swipe at him with my paper (I am out on the sauce tonight so not riding).

If it was you and you are reading this - I'M NOT SORRY. I'M ONLY SORRY I DIDN'T HIT YOU, YOU D1CK.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Made me chuckle there - it is the worse thing every having to defend my fellow cyclists to your average joe in the office when I go out and see some complete dick riding like their in some sort of Bond movie get away film scene.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    I've seen someone rugby tackle a cyclist jumping a red light.

Cyclist definitely came off worse.

The tackler was a bit mental though. Started punching a lamppost not long after.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Was it a rolled up paper?

I am seeing a 1950's household, with dad in armchair reading the paper; small boy playing in the room curses, paper gets rolled up and swiped across the back of the small boys head...

'Why I outta......'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Was it a rolled up paper?

I am seeing a 1950's household, with dad in armchair reading the paper; small boy playing in the room curses, paper gets rolled up and swiped across the back of the small boys head...

'Why I outta......'

I'm thinking bowler hat.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thought a couple of cyclists were going to come to blows last night. First guy starts taking a scooter to task for being in the ASL. Nothing too bad about that, but the cyclist finishes his rant and then jumps the red light! The roadie in front me me then starts shouting at the cyclist and after the lights changed, caught up with him and carried on the bollocking! Seemed to get a little heated before the 2nd roadie sped up and dropped the first.

TBH, the 2nd guy had a point. You can't hassle other road users about not obeying the rules of the road if you then have a major fail in not practising what you preach.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Thought a couple of cyclists were going to come to blows last night. First guy starts taking a scooter to task for being in the ASL. Nothing too bad about that, but the cyclist finishes his rant and then jumps the red light! The roadie in front me me then starts shouting at the cyclist and after the lights changed, caught up with him and carried on the bollocking! Seemed to get a little heated before the 2nd roadie sped up and dropped the first.

TBH, the 2nd guy had a point. You can't hassle other road users about not obeying the rules of the road if you then have a major fail in not practising what you preach.

We all have Larry David moments.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You were a ped ! Shame on you ! Hope it wasn't the Mail !
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cycled into today with a VERY angry cyclist in a Barnsley club cycle kit. He was swearing at everything that came close, a car indicated to turn left, it didn't turn but he was effing at the driver. He nearly got himself in trouble a few times being an impatient rude twat.

Nearly told him to calm the f**k down.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's starting to get on my tits, all this poor cycling and RLJ'ing that I see. But why is it always perpertrated by someone who is slow!?

A guy on a road bike in hi-vis nearly took my front wheel off the other night, on Prince Albert Road, as I was waiting behind a flatbed van at lights. He cut right across me, down the inside of the van (retard), then turned left into Regents Park at Ave Road. I caught him up and lapped him.

Dangerous tosser.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I don't really understand the sentiment behind taking a swing at an RLJer on behalf of all cycling kind.... OK I understand you have strong views on RLJing but I don't understand why you feel we as cyclists have to prove ourselves to other road users.

You don't get car drivers taking a swing at each other for speeding or 1 driver taking a swing at another for talking on his/her mobile or not paying attention whilst driving. Personally I think that if other road users generalise that all cyclists run red lights and give you stick for it, it's their problem and you should be asking THEM why they don't feel the need to give other drivers stick for the usual transgressions of the law that they perpetrate or why they don't feel the need to have a go at pedestrians for jay walking across the road and getting under my wheels...

I think I might start taking a swing at pedestrians who annoy me from now on....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I don't really understand the sentiment behind taking a swing at an RLJer on behalf of all cycling kind.... OK I understand you have strong views on RLJing but I don't understand why you feel we as cyclists have to prove ourselves to other road users.

You don't get car drivers taking a swing at each other for speeding or 1 driver taking a swing at another for talking on his/her mobile or not paying attention whilst driving. Personally I think that if other road users generalise that all cyclists run red lights and give you stick for it, it's their problem and you should be asking THEM why they don't feel the need to give other drivers stick for the usual transgressions of the law that they perpetrate or why they don't feel the need to have a go at pedestrians for jay walking across the road and getting under my wheels...

I think I might start taking a swing at pedestrians who annoy me from now on....

Paging W1. Come in W1!

I have to say, I do agree with Headhuunter on this.
  • iPete wrote:
    Cycled into today with a VERY angry cyclist in a Barnsley club cycle kit. He was swearing at everything that came close, a car indicated to turn left, it didn't turn but he was effing at the driver. He nearly got himself in trouble a few times being an impatient rude fool.

Nearly told him to calm the f**k down.

Simple note to Barnsley club is surely the simple answer?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm getting a little bit bored of the angry militant cyclist routine I keep seeing. Just listen to the way some cyclists talk to each other and/or other road users for maybe making a mistake or not following the rules - they haven't caused harm just let it be.

What people don't seem to realise is that cyclists suffer road rage as well.

I agree with Headhuunter but I disagree with the notion that motorists don't argue. I've seen guys stop get out the car and come to blows because they were cut up or someone didn't give way/let them in the lane or something. You do, however, see that level of road rage less so now because people are more aware that the psycho who got out the car may or may not be physically dangerous and it's just not worth it.

When on a bike soemtimes I RLJ and sometimes I don't.

Equally when I need to turn right at the junction by South Wimbledon tube, I may wait in the yellow box juncion as does every other car because the lights don't give you enough time to make the move if you wait outside it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    I once caught up with a RLJer.

I put my hand gently on his back like this: greg_lemond__bernard_hinault.jpg

and very gently suggested he not jump lights in future, before speeding off.

Anyway, next lights, he went through, and turned around to say "see! it's clear! Why stop?!" before very narrowly avoiding a car turning right onto our road.

I guffawed.

But yeah, I picked my battle. He didn't seem the type to get angry.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Equally when I need to turn right at the junction by South Wimbledon tube, I may wait in the yellow box juncion as does every other car because the lights don't give you enough time to make the move if you wait outside it.
    You are allowed to wait in yellow box junctions if you want to turn right but the road you wish to enter is blocked by traffic. In a car or on a bike.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ben6899
    I once caught up with a RLJer.

I put my hand gently on his back like this: greg_lemond__bernard_hinault.jpg

and very gently suggested he not jump lights in future, before speeding off.

Anyway, next lights, he went through, and turned around to say "see! it's clear! Why stop?!" before very narrowly avoiding a car turning right onto our road.

I guffawed.

But yeah, I picked my battle. He didn't seem the type to get angry.

You picked a battle with The Badger!?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:

Don't you know all red lights turn green when he turns up? Can't have been him ;).
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm getting a little bit bored of the angry militant cyclist routine I keep seeing. Just listen to the way some cyclists talk to each other and/or other road users for maybe making a mistake or not following the rules - they haven't caused harm just let it be.

I agree with Headhuunter but I disagree with the notion that motorists don't argue. I've seen guys stop get out the car and come to blows because they were cut up or someone didn't give way/let them in the lane or something. You do, however, see that level of road rage less so now because people are more aware that the psycho who got out the car may or may not be physically dangerous and it's just not worth it.

Yes, motorists get aggressive with each other when 1 motorist perceives that another has almost crashed into them or otherwise threatened their bubble of safety but drivers do not feel the need to castigate one another for generally breaking the law, ie speeding, parking illegally, talking on the phone etc... Most motorists may mutter something under their breath at most if they see another motorist doing something silly but if it doesn't affect them they let it go. Only cyclists seem to feel they need to get 1 up on each other and act as policement/concerned citizen/teacher.... Equally, you don't get pedestrians taking a swing at one another for dodging through traffic and almost causing an accident...
  • Headhuunter
    BigMat wrote:
    Yeah, reluctant as I am to be a RLJ "apologist", surely if he didn't get in anybody's way then what is the big deal? Oh and newsflash - football forums are populated by the biggest tools on the planet, of which the OP is one (based on this thread anyway).

At the risk of turning this into another debate about RLJing, I agree... However the bigger question here is why do cyclists feel the need to prove themselves to the world and prove their right to the road?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

Don't you know all red lights turn green when he turns up? Can't have been him ;).

Red light spells danger.
    Ben

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are allowed to wait in yellow box junctions if you want to turn right but the road you wish to enter is blocked by traffic. In a car or on a bike.

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

Right that's it that person who told me off for doing that is gonna get it next time I see them.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes, motorists get aggressive with each other when 1 motorist perceives that another has almost crashed into them or otherwise threatened their bubble of safety but drivers do not feel the need to castigate one another for generally breaking the law, ie speeding, parking illegally, talking on the phone etc... Most motorists may mutter something under their breath at most if they see another motorist doing something silly but if it doesn't affect them they let it go. Only cyclists seem to feel they need to get 1 up on each other and act as policement/concerned citizen/teacher.... Equally, you don't get pedestrians taking a swing at one another for dodging through traffic and almost causing an accident...
    I completely agree, which is why I can't get behind these 'camera crusaders' who deem it necessary to post and complain about every single infraction they encounter on the commute.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

Right that's it that person who told me off for doing that is gonna get it next time I see them.
    I made a mistake, I meant oncoming traffic rather than the road you want to enter being blocked by traffic.
    I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not though.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've seen guys stop get out the car and come to blows because they were cut up or someone didn't give way/let them in the lane or something.
    Not the same thing - how often do you see a motorist in full road rage at someone, on behalf of motorists everywhere, because they cut up someone else?

I RLJ'ed last night. See if you can spot the unforgivable sin that I committed in this little story:
    Roadworks with lights on my usual commute home. Filtered up the bike lane to the front of the queue, then, when I could see the traffic coming the other way had stopped, set off. Only to see the traffic on the side road start to turn in front of me when their light went green.

Did you spot it?
    RLJing? Totally unrepentant. Situational awareness fail? Total numpty: I knew from a thousand commutes that there was a side road there, but completely failed to take it into account. Lesson learned, I hope.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Exactly. If you're turning right but blocked by oncoming traffic you can enter the box. If the road you are turning into is blocked with queuing traffic you wait.
    Regarding the OP, I wouldn't swing at someone. But, if I was crossing the road and had to jump out of the way as someone sailed through a red I might not get far enough out of the way so as to make a point.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    BigMat wrote:
    Yeah, reluctant as I am to be a RLJ "apologist", surely if he didn't get in anybody's way then what is the big deal? Oh and newsflash - football forums are populated by the biggest tools on the planet, of which the OP is one (based on this thread anyway).

At the risk of turning this into another debate about RLJing, I agree... However the bigger question here is why do cyclists feel the need to prove themselves to the world and prove their right to the road?

Oh dear, you know that debate's going to happen now don't you? Maybe we should be forced to give our responses in no more than 140 characters a la Twitter.

My guess is two reasons: 1. the perfectly reasonable frustration when talking to non-cycling thickies who say, "Bloody cyclists, they all RLJ", and 2. the same frustration that riles said motorists at sitting still in a line of traffic when you really want to be moving because of a red light and then seeing someone so casually glide ahead of you. It's envy really, but of course, that doesn't make the RLJer right.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ...But, if I was crossing the road and had to jump out of the way as someone sailed through a red I might not get far enough out of the way so as to make a point.
    My body might get out of the way, but my elbow might be a bit slow, and, inexplicably, at head height.

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    SecretSam wrote:
    So when some prat on a Spesh piled through the lights outside Baker St (only to be held up at lights 50 metres down the road) I lost my rag and took a swipe at him with my paper (I am out on the sauce tonight so not riding).
    Isn't one of the reasons given for bullying is because the bully is being picked on themselves? Assault isn't the answer.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    fossyant wrote:
    You were a ped ! Shame on you ! Hope it wasn't the Mail !
    Better to use The Telegraph, you get more reach to swipe the fecker that way :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Headhuunter
    BigMat wrote:

Oh dear, you know that debate's going to happen now don't you? Maybe we should be forced to give our responses in no more than 140 characters a la Twitter.

My guess is two reasons: 1. the perfectly reasonable frustration when talking to non-cycling thickies who say, "Bloody cyclists, they all RLJ", and 2. the same frustration that riles said motorists at sitting still in a line of traffic when you really want to be moving because of a red light and then seeing someone so casually glide ahead of you. It's envy really, but of course, that doesn't make the RLJer right.

Just respond with "bloody motorists, they all speed and kill kids"... Seriously though, why is bad behaviour from motrorists just accepted as "1 of those things" Why when a motorist is stopped for speeding does s/he generally feel like a victim? Why when motorists explain that they were stopped by the police for speeding do they explain this to others with a rebellious mirk on their faces and other people generally respond with a similar smirk and a comment like "bloody police, haven't they got anything better to do?"? Yet RLJ-ing is somehow deemed a sin worse than taking a dump on a crucifix?