Replacement Headset - Cannondale Trail SL 4 (2010)

gjt
gjt Posts: 38
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if I miss anything or indeed if this question has already been answered.

I'm looking to build up my Cannondale and as the forks are gone this is where I intend to start. I'm after some Rockshox Reba RL's with a 1.125" steerer but the Cannondale has a 1.5" headtube. I'd like to replace the headset and I'd rather go for an all in one reducer headset as opposed to messing around with reducer cups.

I think I've found 3 options that are suitable but I was wondering if anybody could confirm whether or not they would definitely work/fit?:
1. Cane Creek 40 Zerostack 1.5" to 1 1/8" reducer headset
2. FSA Orbit ZR
3. Hope Pick and Mix :HSC4 top cup and :HSCD bottom cup (I assume I'll also need to buy a seperate crown race?)

I hope I've been specific enough but please let me know if you need any more info.
Cheers......

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Hello, I have done exactly what you are currently doing with my SL3. Hope do a specific step down converter headset which I ordered from Merlin. Whilst expensive, it works. I don't know about the others, to be honest I found it a bit of a pain figuring it all out.

And the forks are ace. Worth the upgrade for sure. You'll wonder how you even moved the bike when you compare the weight of the new forks to the old ones.
  • gjt
    That's brilliant - I've been messing around all week trying to find out what I need. I even emailed Cannondale who were less than helpful.

I assume then that option 3 on my first post is the one to go for? To be fair Hope themselves supplied me with this info but I just wanted to double check and see if anybody had actually used that headset on the SL frame.

Also whilst we're on the subject, did you fit the forks and headset yourself or did you get your LBS to do it? I've had a look at various forums and on You Tube and it all seems quite straight forward, I know the kit is expensive but I'm looking to build a bike for my brother later in the year so I think it will be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for your help Rob.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I didn't actually get it from the pick and mix range, they used to do a specific reducer set for the conversion. I think this was it (although I bought from Merlin):

http://s383075164.e-shop.info/shop/arti ... ml?pse=coa

I got LBS to fit as the bike was due a service and their labour is free, so just took the bits in with me and they sorted it! Remember you'll need a new stem too whilst you're at it as the 1.5" on your SL4 will no longer fit.
  • gjt
    I ended up going for the Hope Pick & Mix combo and should have them both tomorrow reday to fit this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.