Route Advice Please. London to Manchester

stevie.
stevie. Posts: 127
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I'm riding from London Olympic Park to Manchester Velodrome in July of this year and while there is still much to organise, the biggest thing on my mind is what route?
I'm doing it in one day. About 13 hours all being well.
Early Saturday morning start in London. A welcoming comittee back in Manchester so I really need to be on target with my route and timings.
A few routes have been suggested but they've been done over two or more days so have allowed for slightly more scenic roads and diversions. I won't have that luxury.
Thanks in advance and more info. should you be interested here:http://www.justgiving.com/stannsbigbikeride

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Have you tried the online route planners? Tick the box to avoid motorways and use that as your basis.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Sounds a really interesting ride anyway - good luck with it. I recon you need a few BR members to ride with you!! :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can't help with it all and it depends on whether you do it in the week or over a weekend, but the obvious direct routes are usually the best if you want to avoid scenic diversions.

I've never ridden out of London but live not far from Milton Keynes [as a major landmark / location], and have ridden from there to Rochdale a few times. Not quite your destination, but with the idea of getting straight there in mind you'd be looking at a core route of the A5 maybe as far as Nuneaton, then pick up the route I use to t'grim north, which leaves the A5 at Nuneaton on the A444 to Burton On Trent, A511 as far as the A50 then direct route through the lanes above that to Ashbourne, A515 to Buxton, A6 to Chapel en le Frith then where I'd go onto Glossop & Ashton Under Lyme you'd be on the A6 into Stockport to get to the velodrome.

Weekend traffic on the A5 between MK and Nuneaton is pretty light and never troubles me, same with the routes up through Ashbourne & Buxton - prob too busy in the week but never been an issue on a Saturday afternoon.

Edit - I see you're doing it on a Saturday. That makes it easier and most of the above is valid for that.
  • stevie.
    stevie. Posts: 127
    Thank you guys. I'm in Stockport so I know Leek into Manchester well. I really need as little hills to there as possible. I'll be on my own with not much stopping time.
  • tp2000
    tp2000 Posts: 102
    I'd have a look on Bikely, I'm sure I saw a route on there for London Manchester (I also recall thinking "that seems a long way, but still quicker than the train"!)

If not, bikeroutetoaster is the best mapping site I use.........

At a guess though, to avoid proper hills, I'd look at a route that heads up towards Aylesbury, Buckingham, Leamington Spa, the head around the south of birmingham, then up towards Crewe and then duck under the m6 to do the last bit into Manchester.