Paint or Powdercoat?

Coogie
Coogie Posts: 68
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi
I need to redo my hardtail frame. Which is the better option, paint or powder coat?

I will want to re add decals, then clear laquer is guess...?

Thx

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    powdercoat is more durable and yes decals then laquer
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    you wont be able to add decals then powder coat lacquer over (I was told when I had my Intense resprayed) as the powdercoating needs to be oven cured and hense would melt the decals.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The only reason for choosing powercoating is it's quicker and cheaper than a respray.

If the paint is done correctly, it should be a lot tougher.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gibson44
    Gibson44 Posts: 2
    Powder coating is in general a more durable coating than most wet paint finishes and easier/cheaper to apply. The down side being less colour options than wet paint and slight scuffs wont polish out. You can apply the graphics after curing the powder and then laquer over with a 2 pack wet paint laquer.
    If it was my bike i would go for a 2 pack wet paint finish, then apply graphics, then 4 or 5 coats of 2 pack clear laquer. Dont be put off wet paint because people say powder is harder/more durable. Modern 2 pack paint systems are very good and just as durable as powder. Also wet paint when applied properly will have a smoother finish(less orange peel) and a better gloss level than powder.
    Steve G (Paint Nerd)
  • GT_Dave
    GT_Dave Posts: 161
    I am in the process of having mt HT Frame painted, I managed to get it done for £50 by agreeing that there was no rush and the bloke would do it in his spare time, the only bad point is the fella doesnt seem to have any spare time and ive now been waiting two months!!!! On the plus side its giving me more time to save to buy the parts that I want even though this was supposed to be a budget build for a cheap commuter!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Gibson44 wrote:
    Powder coating is in general a more durable coating than most wet paint finishes and easier/cheaper to apply. The down side being less colour options than wet paint and slight scuffs wont polish out. You can apply the graphics after curing the powder and then laquer over with a 2 pack wet paint laquer.
    If it was my bike i would go for a 2 pack wet paint finish, then apply graphics, then 4 or 5 coats of 2 pack clear laquer. Dont be put off wet paint because people say powder is harder/more durable. Modern 2 pack paint systems are very good and just as durable as powder. Also wet paint when applied properly will have a smoother finish(less orange peel) and a better gloss level than powder.
    Steve G (Paint Nerd)

Phew. Glad to read this as my frame has just been painted :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    whats a two pack paint system ?
  • Dont be put off wet paint because people say powder is harder/more durable. Modern 2 pack paint systems are very good and just as durable as powder.cpu.gif
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    After having both wet paint and powder coat: Poweder coat is more durable. 2 pack paint still chips wasilty with shapr stones - powder coat doesn't.

Powder coat is generally cheaper too - RPA in Bristol will do frame and forks for £65.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    DCR00 wrote:

A bit like a 2-pack adhesive (like araldite, for instance) - there's a resin component and a seperate hardener - mix the two and apply.

They can be based on a very broad range of polymer systems (epoxies, acryllic, PU etc).

And I still say a good paint system will exceed the durability performance of powder coating.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    edited April 2012
    "2pack is also quite poisioness so make sure you use it in a well ventalated area
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Raw
  • Skipsey
    Skipsey Posts: 19
    in my experiance with powdercoating (which is with cars not bikes) once the poweder coat gets chipped 9/10 its going to start cracking/peeling. paint wont do this if its been applied correctly. for that 1 reason i would always paint over powdercoat.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Clank wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

A bit like a 2-pack adhesive (like araldite, for instance) - there's a resin component and a seperate hardener - mix the two and apply.

They can be based on a very broad range of polymer systems (epoxies, acryllic, PU etc).

And I still say a good paint system will exceed the durability performance of powder coating.

If you sprayed an identical componet in Polyester powder and the other in 2 pack polyurethane paint, the paint will out perform the powder.

There are harder wearing powders but they are usually high build epoxy based which won't be as practical on a bike frame.

If you go done the 2pack epoxy primer followed by 2 pack polyurethane top coat then 2 pack lacquer this will give a very durable finish that will perform better than a powder.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nylon powder coat

its the only way to be sure

http://www.batchglow.co.uk/index.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667