Aldi cycling event

2»

Comments

• MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    I got the smaller bike rucksack and just loaded it for a potential commute tomorrow morning. Got shores and some clothes in there no problem! Good kit.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • p7rider
    p7rider Posts: 370
    went last night for a look passed on the clothes but bought a track pump as a spare though £4.99 was ok got to the checkout and it came up a £1.99 so went and bought 4 more :roll:
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Bought some gloves pretty decent and soem padded shorts

the aldi stuff is fine and acceptable quality lasts as well, hammered my jacket everywhere Cannock chase couldn't kill it either when i ripped it on a tree :mrgreen:
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 42
    p7rider wrote:
    went last night for a look passed on the clothes but bought a track pump as a spare though £4.99 was ok got to the checkout and it came up a £1.99 so went and bought 4 more :roll:
    Huh??! How did you manage that. Just checked my receipt: item 45503 £4.99.

Jammie git :wink:
  • p7rider
    p7rider Posts: 370
    efunc wrote:
    p7rider wrote:
    Huh??! How did you manage that. Just checked my receipt: item 45503 £4.99.

Jammie git :wink:
    still £1.99 here as 3 of my m8's just been in, reckon someone cocked up on the barcode :lol:
  • efunc
    buy up the whole stock. seriously. they look pretty good! even the cheapo plastic ones sell for more than £10..
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    efunc wrote:
    buy up the whole stock. seriously. they look pretty good! even the cheapo plastic ones sell for more than £10..

+1 mine has had a fair bit of use trying to find a tyre seating issue and i cant believe ive been without one for so long. made things so much easier :)
  • efunc
    OK, I take back what I said about the track pump! I tried to use it for the first time this afternoon, and in a few seconds it completely deflated my rear tyre and then seemed completely unable to re-inflate it. Now, I concede that this could be operator error, as usually seems to be the case case with me, but I can't see what I could be doing wrong.

I unscrewed the dust cap from the tyre valve of my mountain bike, pushed the pump connector onto it, air gushed out right away as I did that, I pulled up the lever on the pump connector to secure it and ensure a good seal, I started to pump up the now completely deflated tyre, but no amount of pumping seemed to do anything. It seemed like the air isn't actually getting into the tyre at all, even though the connection is secure and the lever is up, as in the instructions.

Fortunately I'd also bought the Aldi foot pump, which is excellent as I used it on my car yesterday. I used the foot pump on the bike instead and all was well. No faffing around, no problems. Pumped both tyres up perfectly on my bike and my car. The funny thing is that the connector on both pumps is basically the the same. What's going on here? Did I buy a dud?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jersey looked a bit long for me so I didn't bother - but I think I have a weeks worth from last year anyway! Got a softshell though - can't have too many of those for the money!

I did get another lightweight rain jacket (the womens variety as those are the only ones that go to small and they are a bit on the large size otherwise. I've already got one but it gets enough mileage to be worth a backup.

Also picked up a couple of Buffs from the motorcycle kit sale - £1.99 each. Would have been rude not to!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Ive bought myself the computer doofer and a track pump, was nearly tempted by the tool bag but the tools inside looked gash.

Computer great value for money does all it needs to, speed inc avg/max, odo, trip, calories, timer, c/o2 savings and actual temperature!

I thought it was quite rude when it asked me my age and how fat I was!! Put it on the nail to test it and it works flawlessly so when the Univega is done it shall have pride of place on there.

Also bought a track pump, whats to say really, seems solid enough, pumped up a flat tyre in about 15 seconds to 40psi. Works as it should and for a fiver, cant go wrong.

Some aldi stuff has been good to me, some stuff has been gash. Receipt kept just incase!

Kev
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • snoopsmydogg
    did anyone else buy the small bike pump?

tried fitting mine to the bike the other night and found that it fouled the front derailleur so the pump could only be gripped close to the bottom of its handle (fell off about 2 miles into the ride). Looking like its either going to have to be fitted to the downtube or just carried in a rucksack.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

tried fitting mine to the bike the other night and found that it fouled the front derailleur so the pump could only be gripped close to the bottom of its handle (fell off about 2 miles into the ride). Looking like its either going to have to be fitted to the downtube or just carried in a rucksack.

I'd be more concerned about its ability to get a decent pressure - I wouldn't assume it can without a test. I bought a Truflo (irrc) mini pump that was hopeless. Even the Leyzene pump I have is hard work.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DorsetKnob
    DorsetKnob Posts: 79
    I went to Aldi and all I bought was some cheese.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    efunc wrote:
    OK, I take back what I said about the track pump! I tried to use it for the first time this afternoon, and in a few seconds it completely deflated my rear tyre and then seemed completely unable to re-inflate it. Now, I concede that this could be operator error, as usually seems to be the case case with me, but I can't see what I could be doing wrong.

I unscrewed the dust cap from the tyre valve of my mountain bike, pushed the pump connector onto it, air gushed out right away as I did that, I pulled up the lever on the pump connector to secure it and ensure a good seal
    Sounds like you maybe missed a step - after removing the dust cap you need to unscrew the top bit of the valve to open it - you can then press with your finger on the top of the valve to release a bit of air just to make sure the valve is open okay. After the valve is open you then secure the pump connector on to it, and you should be able to pump up the tyre okay.
  • efunc
    Ah, OK. I didn't know that was possible or necessary. I'll take a closer look when I get home tomorrow. Interestingly my Aldi Footpump, which uses the same connector, worked fine without unscrewing anything. Maybe that was a fluke. Thanks for the tip.
  • snoopsmydogg
    Sounds like you maybe missed a step - after removing the dust cap you need to unscrew the top bit of the valve to open it - you can then press with your finger on the top of the valve to release a bit of air just to make sure the valve is open okay. After the valve is open you then secure the pump connector on to it, and you should be able to pump up the tyre okay.

think thats only the case for road bike tubes (presta valve) mtb's use schrader valves that are the same as car valves dont they?
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284

i fitted mine to the down tube with the bracket provided,i also put 2 cable ties around the pump,did 50 miles today and the pump didn't move :D
  • snoopsmydogg
    rob21 wrote:
    i fitted mine to the down tube with the bracket provided,i also put 2 cable ties around the pump,did 50 miles today and the pump didn't move :D

think thats probably going to be the way for me too, went out tonight but took a few tools and the pump in my backpack, was ok but got a little sweaty towards the end.
  • efunc

think thats only the case for road bike tubes (presta valve) mtb's use schrader valves that are the same as car valves dont they?
    OK, that makes sense. This is for my mountain bike, and I used the Aldi foot pump in the end which worked exactly as it did for my car, no problems in either case. The track pump however just deflated my tyre, so not sure what I'm doing wrong..