Pro Tec MTB. Updated Again !!!..now gone..

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited May 2012
    Wow, I am impressed!
    The Biopace rings are even in the original orientation, it seems!
    Did you ever mess about with rotating them?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    cooldad wrote:
    anyone who steals it must be poorer than me and in dire need.

Of their £10 bag for the day... ;-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wow, I am impressed!
    You can't - the arms of the spider are different lengths.
    I don't actually notice them - I bought an old road bike with some on as well. Seem to work ok for me, although that hasn't been ridden for more than a year.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    cooldad wrote:
    Stuffs all original. I bought it second hand from the original owner - no idea how much he used it, but everything is original, hubs, chainrings, mechs etc. Mountain Exage. Even still has the pie dish on the back wheel . .

From what i can remember the Rock Hopper was £399.99 back in 1988 and the Girvin felx stem was between £50 - £60 but the Shark fin was £3 and that pie dish on the back wheel was hated by a lot of riders and was often removed and thrown away lol .

As for the Mint Sauce stickers , they came free with MBUK as i use to have some on my old bike helmet lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Wow, I am impressed!
    You can't - the arms of the spider are different lengths.
    I don't actually notice them - I bought an old road bike with some on as well. Seem to work ok for me, although that hasn't been ridden for more than a year.
    Ah, how odd.
    My old Biopace shimano setup, which I forget it's name, had a standard spider, so the rings could be rotated. I remember trying it, and one way felt smoother, and the other way seemed to yield less tired legs, and a higher average speed. At the time I was regularly cycling about 28 miles to a friend's house, and home almost every day, so the difference became quite noticeable.
    I can't remember which orientation of the rings had which results though, messing about with it so much, and the mists of time, among other things, have wiped my memory somewhat.
    Interesting to see such an old bike in good condition though. However, all old bikes were, and still are sh*t :lol:
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i put my stickers on my ETTO helmet made the climbs easier!! :lol:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IT66T wrote:
    As for the Mint Sauce stickers , they came free with MBUK as i use to have some on my old bike helmet lol .
    The MTBUK stickers are on the seatstays - painted black to cover up scratches and rusty bits.
    Ah, how odd.
    My old Biopace shimano setup, which I forget it's name, had a standard spider, so the rings could be rotated. I remember trying it, and one way felt smoother, and the other way seemed to yield less tired legs, and a higher average speed. At the time I was regularly cycling about 28 miles to a friend's house, and home almost every day, so the difference became quite noticeable.
    I can't remember which orientation of the rings had which results though, messing about with it so much, and the mists of time, among other things, have wiped my memory somewhat.
    Interesting to see such an old bike in good condition though. However, all old bikes were, and still are sh*t :lol:
    You could be right. I remember looking closely at one of them when I read Shimano had got it backwards, but I hardly ever ride on the road (odd charity ride (and there are some very odd charities)) and the Rockhopper just gets gentle use, so I couldn't be bothered to actually try it - just looked like it wouldn't work.

And yes, it is pretty sh1t as an MTB. Fine as a bike bike though.
    The road bike is quite nice if you're into that sort of thing. A fiver on Ebay, seller round the corner, and Reynolds 531 frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Fine as a bike bike though.
    fair point.
  • IT66T
    cooldad wrote:
    The MTBUK stickers are on the seatstays - painted black to cover up scratches and rusty bits .

That sounds about right as the paint finish wasn't as tough as the powder coating you use to get on the old Saracens and my mates biopace crank on his Saracen had the different size legs and he couldn't turn the chain rings on his .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • IT66T
    I've just had these arrive today so will be fitting them when i get the chance and the bike is shaping up nicely ,,
    protecdevil002.jpg
    protecdevil003.jpg

The advertisement pic is better me thinks ,,
    t2ec16jee9s2ufwgsbrrufn.jpg
  • IT66T
    Just want to say that these new tyres and tubes are working brilliantly on the black stuff and i'm now eager to see how these Eigers handel off road so all i'm waiting for at the moment are my 2 new sets of brake blocks at £4.60 and a new flat alloy handel bars at £7.99 :) ..

My blocks that are ordered ..
    hl0645x1.jpg

My handel bars that i've ordered ..
    dsc01685zpsa956e5ec.jpg
    dsc01686zpscc54daa6.jpg
    t2ec16nue9s3wbew9bqfyul.jpg
  • IT66T
    I put my new Eiger tyres and inner tubes on today and my flat handlebars ,,
    mybike006.jpg
    mybike003.jpg
    mybike001.jpg

So i'm just waiting again now for a couple more items :D:D ..
  • Looks just like an old GT frame to me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd loose the reflectors, looking very nicely retro!

Not sure why you have bars named after a composer?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IT66T

I was thinking about getting rid of the reflectors and you've just helped me decide so they will be gone in the next few hours and i am heading down the retro route as i will be getting some canti levers sent to me at weekend to help with the retro theme and thanks for the compliment 8) 8) .

That name is the name of the bike shop which is based in London although the advert does kinda miss lead you a bit and i'm thinking of getting hold of a control style handlebar stem as i think they were pretty racey looking as i'm after the racing look and i'm also after some rigid GT forks to up the theme but their hasn't been any knocking about with a long enough steerer :( so i might end up with some old indy forks but i'm still hoping to get some rigids :) ..
    Looks just like an old GT frame to me.

Well i do believe the frame was copied from the old GT's but i haven't found anything to confirm this and the frame is also similar to the old Apollo Avalanche frame but the top of the seat stays is wrong so i'm sticking with the GT theory as i love those frames :D ..
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Well its a triple triangle design, thats about as much as it has in common with a GT though... lol!!

Looks fine to bumble about on though!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

signature model. used to be a sick freerider in his day.
  • IT66T
    Bike now minus reflectors and it looks tons better with out them ,,
    mb003u.jpg
    mb002.jpg
    I'm on the look out for a comfy saddle now well after i've got my canti levers and head stem for my bars :roll: ..
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I actually really like that!!! Good job!

If it is a GT, there will be a GT stamp on the back of the top tube near the top of the seat tube. The top tube doesnt overrun through the the seat tube so i dont think its a GT. The frame "brace" inbetween the seat stays doesnt look like ones ive seen on GTs either, neither do the chainstays. Probably just a manufacturer copying the triple triangle idea. Looks nice none the less. Nice one :wink:

I had a pair of CST tyres before too, they were brilliant :)
  • IT66T
    I actually really like that!!! Good job!

If it is a GT, there will be a GT stamp on the back of the top tube near the top of the seat tube. The top tube doesnt overrun through the the seat tube so i dont think its a GT. The frame "brace" inbetween the seat stays doesnt look like ones ive seen on GTs either, neither do the chainstays. Probably just a manufacturer copying the triple triangle idea. Looks nice none the less. Nice one :wink:

I had a pair of CST tyres before too, they were brilliant :)

Nope! their is no evidence that it is a GT frame which just means it's only based on the triple triangle idea of the GT's :( which is a shame as the bike feels rather lively tbh and cheers for the compliment mate 8) and those tyres cost me £16 with the inner tubes and they seem pretty good at the moment but i've not ridden off road with them just yet but i've got plenty of time for that later on :) .
  • gt-arrowhead
    No probs.

I got my CSTs for free, they were thrown outside of halfords with the wrapping still round them. There was a slit in the sidewall about 2mm long, and thats it. :lol: Was a good find. GT or not, if you like it you like it. :wink: Have fun. :)
  • IT66T
    I haven't been lucky enough to get tyres for free :( , just the bike itself as it use to be my brother inlaws which is a bit of a joke as he's got no idea of how to use the gears but i don't care as i'm enjoying the bike at the moment and that's all that matters to me ;)..
  • IT66T
    This time i've replaced the quill handlebar stem for an Aheadstem which has given the bike a slightly more racey look 8) and now means i've got a better stretched out position :D:D which is great but i still need better forks as these really let the bike down badly :cry: ,,
    oldgirl003.jpg
    oldgirl010.jpg
    oldgirl007.jpg
    oldgirl005.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    You should slap some nice black GT decals on the downtube. haha. It does look better with the aheadset. I did that to mine aswell, looks a million times better.

What fork is that?
  • IT66T
    Cheers mate ;) ,, The forks are UBI corporation which aren't very impressive as basically their recons and not very good ones at that so i will be replacing them at some point in the near future and i have been toying with the idea of the stickers but hadn't decided and that Aheadset i got off the bay for 99p which isn't to bad for Specialized ;) ..
  • If it were me i'd shove some of these on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pace-Racing-C ... 1e7af80c48

It looks a very retro bike and these would finish it off nicely! Either that or some rigid forks.
  • gt-arrowhead
    IT66T wrote:
    Cheers mate ;) ,, The forks are UBI corporation which aren't very impressive as basically their recons and not very good ones at that so i will be replacing them at some point in the near future and i have been toying with the idea of the stickers but hadn't decided and that Aheadset i got off the bay for 99p which isn't to bad for Specialized ;) ..

Wow, Deal and a half on the headset! You should do whatever you think looks best, and maybe a pair of RS Judys on there if you are looking for a new fork?
  • IT66T
    If it were me i'd shove some of these on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pace-Racing-C ... 1e7af80c48

It looks a very retro bike and these would finish it off nicely! Either that or some rigid forks.

They are nice forks and i agree they would finish the bike off nicely but their a bit out of my price range especially since i've just got word from my landlord that he's selling the house :shock: so the wife and i have got to get some money saved for another deposit and a removal van :( so that's on hold for now and i was thinking maybe some titanium retro styled forks but we will see what comes i decide on in the near future i hope ;) ..
    IT66T wrote:

[quote="GT-Arrowhead"
    Wow, Deal and a half on the headset! You should do whatever you think looks best, and maybe a pair of RS Judys on there if you are looking for a new fork?

As i said in my previous post that i can't really buy any more forks right now due to circumstances but thanks for the suggestion as i will look into it at a later date as a possible option but as for now i'm just waiting on some brake bits that i've already shelled out for mate :) ..
  • IT66T
    My bike ended up in such a bad state due it being left in my daughters back garden in august 2013 for 12months that it was beyond saving as a whole and has been scrapped so another project is on the cards to replace my previous bike with something a little more modern and lighter ;) ..
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Something a little more modern to be left in the garden for a year?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.