Mavic Carbone SLE or DuraAce C50

Alsgonow
Alsgonow Posts: 45
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
So here I am, wanting to treat myself to a new set of wheels but I have now hit a problem! :?

Which ones to go for?

So I thought I would throw it out to the masses :lol: for some pointers.

Any suggestions??????
Must try harder!

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I'd go for the Mavics as they look so damn sexy!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Cycling weekly preferred the Giants, but read into that what you will. Could be splitting hairs.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Given you don't specify what type of riding you do, I take it's just about the look... then the Cosmic will get noticed more...
    If you want to splash a lot of cash on profiled wheels that actually make sense, look at the Zipp 303, Tom Boonen won the Paris Roubaix on those (although the tubolar version), so they're not just for the cafe'... they actually do the job!
    left the forum March 2023
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Ugo is right, there's not a lot between them in terms of ride and handling. The Mavics are a fairing and the D-A are structural carbon but that doesn't mean very much. I suppose truing the Mavics might be easier when necessary. I also found the Mavic wheels a bit more comfortable on rough roads which is good if you plan to use them on longer rides.

I'd think very carefully about the new Mavic brake track though. If you want to swap in some other wheels on a windy day as you'll need to swap the brake pads too. Also, personally I don't like the idea that the black brake track can get scratched through to the silver and at some point will wear through. You may have worn them out or sold them by then though - who knows! Why not save a few quid and get the Mavics with a normal silver brake track though?
  • Alsgonow
    Alsgonow Posts: 45
    Thanks for the feedback,
    Ugo as far as the type of riding i do, nothing fancy, in my mind i am Wiggins in real life just a forty something getting red going nowhere fast. Sportives generally, 100 miles over the weekend, plus an extra 50 in the week in the summer months. Not too many hills in my area. Deep down i guess its the look as realistically cant keep going at an average of 20mph for hours on end in order to make them work for me.
    Foggy, good point about the brakes, on reflection i don't think i really need the extra braking power that the SLE offers so i guess the SL would be fine.
    Must try harder!
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I have the Cosmic SL's and they have been fantastic. Bomb proof on rough roads, hold speed well and you also get the Mavic MP3 warranty. De-sticker for a less blingy look.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • si2k2000
    si2k2000 Posts: 61
    I also have the SLE's and am very happy with them. As said above very good on rough roads and once you get them up to speed they do hold it very well. I find the do flex a bit of the really steep stuff out of the saddle but that has more to do with me being a chubby lad than anything else.

The braking surface is the best I have experienced in the wet and is showing no signs of wear. I agree that are not great on a really windy day and about swapping out for another set of wheels and having to change the pads. I resolved this by purchasing a set of Ksyrium SLR's which also have the same braking surface. I appreciate that is probably not the most cost effective solution :-)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I'm liking your style there! :lol::lol:
  • MP3 protection is only a Quid at the moment on the Mavic's up till mid May so a good time to buy !