7116809857_bbba80447b.jpg

After
7116496569_765438fd60.jpg

Method
6970417080_8620c50f23.jpg

Comments

• IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    And you left chain in beer for how long?
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    Pepsi works 2x as quick because it is so acidic.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Better just buy a new one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And now the innards will be filled with sticky sugary stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I7 Extreme
    I7 Extreme Posts: 228
    i'l try that sometime, if you want to clean a chain normaly lidl do a chain bath for £4
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    Yeah, i bought that today actually - needed 3 chains cleaned
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    When a chain is that far gone I don't really see the point in cleaning it, might as well throw it in the bin and buy a new one.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Was only a wee experiment on "pub-bike" - chain had only covered 20-30miles max, was in the Ginger beer for about 3 days in all, washed the gunk off in boiling water, dried the chain out on the radiator and re oiled- lovely.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Was only a wee experiment on "pub-bike" - chain had only covered 20-30miles max, was in the Ginger beer for about 3 days in all, washed the gunk off in boiling water, dried the chain out on the radiator and re oiled- lovely.

A wee experiment? I thought it was ginger beer ... ?
  • When a chain is that far gone I don't really see the point in cleaning it, might as well throw it in the bin and buy a new one.

No! Looks like just surface rust to me. Could still be very well lubed in the parts that matter and work perfectly. Easy to have this happen if you let the exterior of the chain get a little dry and there is salt on the roads. It's just cosmetic.
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    what was the Chinese meal?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    If it does that to a chain think what it does to your insides! :shock:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    extrusion wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

A wee experiment? I thought it was ginger beer ... ?

Suppose I could have drunk the Ginger Beer first and then "recycled" it, at least it would have tasted better that way round :?