Best tyres for wet and icy weather

Liamhowells
Liamhowells Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have recently bought a road bike and the tyres that came on it haven't got very good grip in wet conditions, preventing me from going out much of the time! I was wondering which road bike tyres would be the best for bad weather allowing me to use the bike more often.
Thanks Liam.

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    for icy weather your not really going to find anything bar studded stuff which im not sure they do in smaller road bike sizes. for wet stuff your best idea would be to go for a good alrounder set of tyres, look on the sites gear reviews at the tires. gatorskins, gp4000, ultremo umongst others i know get well reviewed
    Ben
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gp4000s are good in the wet - I suspect you're being overcautious in the wet - most tyres are fine. Just don't go mental ?

And yes with ice - metal spikes or stay at home.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    GP4000S are hard to beat for grip in the UK's variable weather conditions.

Ice - ride very carefully.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Go for a tyre with 25mm width and run them at lower pressures in the wet. I'd go for something a bit more durable as Contis are very cut-prone IME, particularly if using them all year.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    ive vredestein fortenza on mine, which their site says dry weather tyre only and so far had no probs. But there is always a niggle in the back of my mind when out in the wet. So will get tri comp or any of the above, before next winter.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I run 28mm Schwalbe Marathon's on my tourer during the winter. They're heavy but grip really well and I've never had a puncture.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!