Road bike manufacturers producing MTBs

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I was in South Africa last month visiting family and was very impressed with the bike one of nephews was riding. It was a Pinarello FV5, full sus, incredibly light, under 10kgs I believe and very well put together with pretty much all XT kit. His company actually import them into the country and they seem to do very well selling them at around SAR65k (aound £4500) (MTBing is massive over there and they seem to have some fantastic events by the way if anyone was looking for somewhere to go)

Just wondered what people think of it and whether anyone has seen one over here?

http://www.asgsport.co.za/mtb-article/ASG-MTB-Editorial.html
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Interesting. I'm only vaguely aware of the Pinarello brand, but if their MTBs are of a high enough quality at a decent price, then someone should consider importing them to the UK as well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    seen a few on Gum Tree already ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Well their road bikes are known for being incredibly expensive and not really all that light, with true Marmite aesthetics. If the price was right I'd try one of their MTBs, but if the prices and weights (comparatively...) are on par with the Dogma then I'm not so sure...

Indeed the FS frame weighs more than the other lightweight FS frames around, for £4500 with XT, hmmmm, not sure.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I quite like the look of it, but for that money it should bloody well look nice.

Despite that mildly positive statement I can quite safely say I will never, ever, ever buy one.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    Well their road bikes are known for being incredibly expensive and not really all that light
    Ah, I did not know that.
    Our senile engineer is a keen roadie, but my knowledge is sketchy at best.
    I was fascinated by his belief that Campag stuff is also overpriced, and that he rated Shimano as the best roadbike setup. (Of course, personal opinions and all that, but from my meagre knowldge of roadbikes, I'd always been led to believe that Campag was EVERYTHING)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    njee20 wrote:
    Well their road bikes are known for being incredibly expensive and not really all that light
    Ah, I did not know that.
    Our senile engineer is a keen roadie, but my knowledge is sketchy at best.
    I was fascinated by his belief that Campag stuff is also overpriced, and that he rated Shimano as the best roadbike setup. (Of course, personal opinions and all that, but from my meagre knowldge of roadbikes, I'd always been led to believe that Campag was EVERYTHING)
    Sram is the way forward.

double tap rocks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'll double tap YOUR rocks in a minute.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You haven't got a good double tap rocking in you!

Campag/Shimano is even more 'hotly' debated than SRAM/Shimano off road. SRAM road groups are just a poor 3rd ;-)

Di2 rocks, Double Tap shifters are just stupidly expensive compared to STIs and Ergopowers.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    This thread might need moving.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    EH_Rob wrote:
    This thread might need moving.
    I'll move you in a minute.

You haven't got a good double tap rocking in you
    I've double tapped more rocks than you've had hot dinners.