Helmet for long head?

shed-dweller
shed-dweller Posts: 123
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm currently on the hunt for a new helmet after my old specialized echelon developed a crack. Now the obvious thing to do would be to just buy a direct replacement, however as I have strange shaped head - 60cm circumference but quite narrow and really long - the fit of the spesh leaves quite a lot of sideways movement. Tried on the next size down of the same model and it's not long enough but the right width.

Does anyone else face the same problem when choosing helmets, and if so what do you use? Or does anyone know which brands are best for long, thin head shapes? I have tried on quite a wide variety but nothing has really been right so far.

Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    left the forum March 2023
  • Precisely, except that doesn't have the wannabe afro haircut...which is another problem: as my hair grows, I need more space in the helmet!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I had a MET but it was too narrow, changed to a Giro Atmos which are great for us round headed people, so maybe MET are better for you.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I probably have a similar (oddly) shaped head and got a Bell Ghisallo a few years back after reading a few recommendations. That model has been discontinued now but I assume other Bell helmets such as the Sweep would be similarly shaped.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    This is relevant to my interests, as I have a long-shaped head too. At 59.5cm, it also puts me inbetween sizes. I bought a large Giro Monza for cheap, as Giro's MTB helmets fit me well and I figured the shaping would be roughly the same. Rookie mistake. It fits ok (if slighty loose on the sides), but looks absolutely ridiculous (mushroom syndrome). I think it's time to give MET a try.
  • Yes having trawled the web I've found that Lazer and possibly also Met are the best bets. Tried on a few Mets and I'm not sure they're right for me. Shame not many dealers stock Lazer!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Thread is useless without pics of the funny shaped head
  • Will not be posting picture of my head, please refer to link posted by ugo.santalucia instead (http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/images/alien3.jpg)
  • doubledenim
    doubledenim Posts: 119
    I have a similar shaped head... (not quite like the alien)

I use a large size Kask vertigo - perfect fit
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    thegibdog wrote:
    I probably have a similar (oddly) shaped head and got a Bell Ghisallo a few years back after reading a few recommendations. That model has been discontinued now but I assume other Bell helmets such as the Sweep would be similarly shaped.

I had 2 Bells in the past and both fitted well (I also have a long head...really long at 63cm...)
    I have a Spesh now and it's also fine even on long rides...