Training for a long distance ride

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
I am considering cycling from Edinburgh to just south of Manchester at the end of this summer and would prefer to do it in one go (250 miles in 24 hours). I wouldn't say I am unfit but at present I only do ~20 mile MTB routes so I am no where near fit enough. I would have about 10 - 12 weeks to get my fitness up to scratch.

I was wondering if there are any training plans that you would suggest or just ride every other day and keep upping the mileage and speed to the point where I have done several 160 mile rides?

I don't have a road bike, I only have a fairly heavy mountain bike that I use for commuting and a nicer one that I use for mountain biking. I am assuming it doesn't matter what I ride as long as I put the road miles in? Then when I get around to buying a road bike, I would just be able to go that bit further.

If it is a stupid idea within the time frame, please let me know :)

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy a road bike now, then you can get comfortable on it.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Definately get a road bike now, n + 1 and all that. Generally the concensus seems to be two or three runs through the week then a longer run at the weekend. I think the thinking is that the mid distance rides build strength and the longer ride builds stamina. Don't forget to rest properly in between rides.250 miles if a f****** long way. Good Luck
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Yacoby
    edited April 2012
    styxd wrote:
    Buy a road bike now, then you can get comfortable on it.
    definitely get a road bike now, n + 1 and all that.
    The issue is that would far prefer to ensure that I am putting in the training before getting one and I don't have the money to throw about (or money for that matter).
    Generally the concensus seems to be two or three runs through the week then a longer run at the weekend. I think the thinking is that the mid distance rides build strength and the longer ride builds stamina. Don't forget to rest properly in between rides.250 miles if a f****** long way. Good Luck
    Ok, cheers. That makes sense.

Whatever the amount of training I am expecting the last 80 miles to be utter hell.
  • styxd
    The issue is that would far prefer to ensure that I am putting in the training miles before getting one.

Eh?

If you want to train, then train. On a road bike though. I cant really understand your thinking.
  • Yacoby
    styxd wrote:
    If you want to train, then train. On a road bike though. I cant really understand your thinking.
    I can't think about buying a bike now. I have exams and I will just spend all my time trying to find a bike to buy rather than revising.

To put it another way. I will get a road bike, but in may be two weeks into my riding (rather than break from revision riding which is what I am doing at present)
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I don't see a problem with waiting a few weeks to acquire a road bike, but give yourself time to get used to the new bike before you set off.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I completely disagree with all of the above comments. I'm a mountain biker and that's all I've ever ridden, including having one on my turbo trainer. I recently purchased a road bike and my first ride was 65 miles starting off going over Cairn O'Mount in Scotland. I did the ride in 4.40, however that was waiting for a friend, I could have done it in 4hrs. What helped me was the training I'd been before hand and having the bike 'FITTED'.
  • styxd
    Thats wonderful, but if I was going to ride 250 miles on a bike, I'd want to make sure I was well used to it before doing so.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    styxd wrote:
    Thats wonderful, but if I was going to ride 250 miles on a bike, I'd want to make sure I was well used to it before doing so.

And in an ideal world that is right, however the OP isn't living in an ideal world.
  • Yacoby
    styxd wrote:
    I have quite some time over summer, so even if I waited a couple of weeks I would still probably have enough time to put down at least 1000 miles with the bike. If that doesn't get me used to it I don't know what would.
  • styxd
    My response was with regards to Eskimos post.

If you can do 1000 miles or whatever then thats great, just make sure you do (spend some time on the road bike, as you'll want the set up bob on if you're doing 250miles in a oner)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I agree with making sure that you get the bike setup right - I stupidly had a bike fit 2 weeks before last years Dragon Ride and I didn't have time to tweak it and get comfortable. I got around the Gran Fondo route but suffered more than I should have. Bike fits are worthwhile and get close a good setup, I actually raised my saddle height from the recommended height by close on 2cm and moved the saddle forward by a similar amount!

Do you have slick tyres that you can fit to your MTB for road training? They will make a big difference until you have the funds to buy a road bike. Maybe use your heavy bike for training and your better bike for the 250 miler if you can't get a road bike within the time frame.

Good luck!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Riding distance has much less to do with fitness than it does to do with comfort (most important) and mental fortitude (AKA sheer bloody-mindedness).

So the sooner you are on the bike you intend to ride the 400km on, the better - you need to get any discomfort dialled out as quickly as possible. At the end of every ride, think about the bits that hurt and then work on adjusting the setup to make sure you're more comfortable.

You do, of course, need to also work on fitness - so definitely start working on that. It's a common misconception that the only way to prepare for riding a long distance is to ride long distances. Work on all aspects of fitness and strength - even if you're time limited, you'll be able to get very good results doing interval or hill work. Then try and get out and build your distances over time - I'd be aiming to get to about 200km (125m) with about 2 weeks before the big event.

What this will actually be about, over and above fitness, is learning how to manage yourself on the road for distance. You need to learn to eat and drink - what works for you etc. - you will screw this up at least once in the coming weeks - but better now than on the main ride. Learn what food is palatable for you after 18 hours of pushing yourself (everyone is different, but learning to overcome food challenges is pretty key to distance cycling).

250 miles in 24 hours is very acheivable - but you've got a reasonable learning curve to go through!

My final advice would be to get yourself on (initially) some 100km audax, looking to get to 200km before the event - that way, you'll be riding with others who will be open and friendly and should offer you advice on how to ride for that length of time. www.aukweb.net
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I agree with marcus on comfort

If you are riding for 24 hours straight sleep deprivation is also a problem

Marcus and I have both actually ridden 400km in 24h on roads, unsupported