Cannock Conditions

AnthemX29er
AnthemX29er Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Routes
Anyone any idea what The Monkey Trail at Cannocks like at the mo, has it been deluged ! Off there Sat with 4 mates for the first time and wud'nt mind a heads up, Ta.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Went round Tuesday night and it was a bit of a mixed bag dry/moist/wet lots of splashy puddles etc but still OK-ish

Official trails were mostly watery black mud over polished pebbles embedded in concrete singletrack i.e. normal. Off piste was getting churned up
  • Tks blitz, as long as it's not a foot deep in mud, spent most of the Winter slogging round in the mud, just hoped the dust hadn't turned into a swamp but sounds perfect.
  • .blitz
    The end of the Tackeroo descent is still closed from Hugh's Bridge to Birches Valley car park and there's also a diversion in place on Monkey between M4 (Five Ways) to M5 (start of Upper Cliff).
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    There were also a few trees down across the trail last time I went around which was about 3 weeks ago
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I went last weekend and it wasn't too bad, wet but not muddy. Apart from the diversions mentioned above there were no other trail closures/blockages.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Goodnews
    Goodnews Posts: 11
    Anyone been on FTD or the Monkey in the last few days? I went a week ago Tuesday and it was fine, was wondering about going tomorrow evening?.....
  • NickLCR
    NickLCR Posts: 32
    Saturday I went, found it fine. Plenty of grip on the fast bits, just lots of puddles. But it's only water :)
  • .blitz
    Yup was OK on Sat dry/moist/wet/splashy puddles etc. We had a lot of rain on Sun and again yesterday but the Chase drains fairly well and the Chase Trails fellas have been working hard draining the puddles. Forecast is dry today so conditions shouldn't be too bad this evening
  • Goodnews
    NickLCR wrote:
    Saturday I went, found it fine. Plenty of grip on the fast bits, just lots of puddles. But it's only water :)

Just got back and it was exactly that (well on FTD anyway). Actually very few sections cut up, much better than the Monkey was last week. Was nice to see loads of people turning up as I was leaving - the weather was spot on :D
  • has anyone been up recently? How wet is it? cheeers
  • .blitz
    Not wet at all today - well, there's moisture if you look for it and there's a few muddy ruts here and there but otherwise it's most excellent. The drainage work on s9/10 has made a big difference
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Anyone been the weekend just gone? Is it rideable?
  • Goodnews
    Was thinking of having a run out to Cannock tomorrow after work - anyone know what its like at the moment?
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I was in the area the weekend and the M6 bound bikes all looked relatively clean, plus a friend was over and reckoned it was alright. Not much hope after today though.......
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    I was over the Monkey last night and there was snow and ice on the ground! The snow was actually hail, but it was that thick that it looked like snow and with the temp not much above 2C (this was between 7-8pm) it wasn't thawing.

Other than that there were lots of decent sized puddles around, but it wasn't actually that muddy. I was lucky enough to miss any rain or hail showers as well, so other than a lower half soaking from splashing through puddles it was a good ride....so good I did Upper and Lower Cliff twice :D:D:D
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • .blitz
    Yup it was proppa cold and clear last night after some heavy rain in the afternoon. Did a mellow loop around the North side it was typical Cannock puddles 'n' pebbles

Getting slightly pissed off with this weather now I want to ride in a t-shirt, get sunburn and sweat to death