Backpacks

sagefly
sagefly Posts: 295
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm just getting going on the ride riding caper and am doing about 130 miles each weekend as well as the 20 mile a day commute.

I've got an old LA fitness backpack that has the spares, food etc in it but its an uncomfortable thing with no "tailoring" and with no ventilation system you sweat like the proverbial.

I've been looking at Deuter race 10 and Osprey synchro 10 as an upgrade, Has anyone got any opinions or alternatives that they can recommend

I've got a couple of 50 mile chariy ride booed in as well as Revolution London and we are planning some more 70-100 mile sportives etc so small and comfortable is a plus

Thanks in advance

Has anybody got any advice
Turned out nice again!

Comments

• I have the Osprey Escapist 20 .......... which is a great backpack link below

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mul ... ries_-_new
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • sagefly
    Hi Mark, thanks for that.

I was hoping for comparison type advice between the 2 packs

Cheers

Greg
    Turned out nice again!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    For general riding I would always use a small saddle bag for tools and spare tubes and the pockets on a cycling jersey for carrying food, rain cape etc.

For commuting I take clothes in ready on the days when I have to use my car to avoid carrying them on my bike but sometimes have to use a small rucksack. I really wouldn't want to do that for anything over 20 miles, even with an 'airflow' system my back gets really sweaty and uncomfortable no matter how cold the day is.
  • sagefly
    Thanks Pross, I've got the saddle bag for short rides and commuting but need a larger option for longer rides etc
    Turned out nice again!
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Have you considered some sort of rack mounted carrier (either pannier or some back on top of the rack?). I wouldn't like to carry a rucksack for more than a short commute (or mountain biking). Far comfier without one on.
  • sagefly
    Thanks Yacoby, the rack and panniers are not an option no mounts on the road bike.

Plus they really suck have them on my hybrid!
    Turned out nice again!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    sagefly wrote:
    Thanks Pross, I've got the saddle bag for short rides and commuting but need a larger option for longer rides etc

How far are you intending riding? You should be able to carry everything you need for a single day ride in jersey pockets. Touring etc. that involve more than a single day then panniers are sensible, you can always get a seat post mounted pannier rack if you don't have fittings. IMO carrying a rucksack on your back while cycling for much more than an hour isn't a good idea not only because of breathability / sweatiness but it is likely to cause back problems due to the position it is being carried.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Have you considered a larger saddlebag such as the Carradice Super-C (at 23 litres)? Okay, they are old-fashioned, but they work. I have used one of those with a Bagman Expedition QR support rack for five-day tours (admittedly staying in B&Bs, not camping) and found it to be sufficient. The Bagman rack is expensive for what it is, but on the other hand it makes it extremely simple to take the bag off and put it back on again.
  • sagefly
    Pross, we are riding 100 on the first day and 80 on the 2nd.

I'm favouring the jersey pocket route but my mate "who is never wrong" insists a backpack is the way to go.

Thanks for all the help

Greg
    Turned out nice again!
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Hiya,

I use the Berghaus Freeflow 20 Men's Backpack http://store.berghaus.com/p/hiking-trek ... ack/434556 which I got from Debenhams on sale - was <£30, retails higher than that (brought in Feb this year). My commute (only started this month) is just under 14 miles each way but will only cycle once a week and this will change to twice weekly as the weather and fitness improves.

Like earlier posters, I bring the majority of my stuff on the days I do not cycle (clothes etc). Rucksack does a good job and when I commute by bike, I always carry a spare inner tube, small pump, tool kit and spare rain coat/ underlayer. I also bring in a small lunch box and a few items for the office as well as keys, wallet, mobile etc. It is only 20L and I never aim to 'bulk' it up too much./ My ride to work is usually heavier than the commute back. It also has the necessary support in case you will need a hydration system.

It also has a spare rain cover and my only wish was for more reflective strips on the rucksack and the rain cover. I commute on a CX and it gets slightly 'stuffy' but the 'fit' on the rucksack is quite superb. There was no way I was going to cycle in on my larger North Face rucksack!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Can thoroughly recommend this:

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/ ... xp_air/12/

Used for a 3 day tour earlier this year. Complete overkill for a days ride though, use your pockets!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I use a Deuter 8l and Mrs T uses a Deuter 10, plenty of room but quite compact bags, excellent quality, really comfortable, ventilated probably the most comfortable backpack I have ever used but you still end up with a sweaty back.

Better than most, but not the best solution for carrying stuff. On my hybrid I use a beam rack and a 6l top rack bag which has a bungy net on top for extra stuff. On longer trips on the road bike I use the backpack and wear a thinner jersey!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I could recommend the Deuter Air XP series if you want to minimise the sweaty back syndrome - I've had one for 10 years which I use for running and biking to work as well as the occassional all-day epic like the Southdowns Way where you need to carry a bit more supplies or kit. For all-day road rides however I can fit everything I need in my pockets / small seatpack / hang on the bike - anything more tells me it's too much! The trouble is with any backpack / waistpack is that it renders your pockets useless. For something minimalist, there's Salomon's XA20/25 series - designed for adventure racing they are really light. I've got the XA25 for my off-road forays to work because it's totally waterproof, plus it's got some handy pockets on the waistbelt.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    I use a stash bottle and my jersey/jacket pockets becuase I hate back packs but don't have the option of panniers. I know that's not what you want to hear but thought you may be interested in the stash bottle idea.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I am with some of the earlier posters in that the rucksack makes me very sweaty.

I rode last week without one and loved the feeling of freedom.

Also look at Kriega, not cycling specfic but incredibly comfortable. I have the 20l one

sam
  • Speller78
    Speller78 Posts: 22
    I have a deuter race exp air for commuting and its brilliant. I forget it's there most of the time, apart from the rare occasion i pull the stomach strap too tight and get confused as to why i cant breath half way up a climb.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I wouldn't want to ride a long distance with anything on my back.

For a 2 day trip like yours I'd see if you can post a change of clothes and some bars etc to wherever you're staying, that way all you're carrying in your pockets is food and on the bike drink, a tube and tools.

The Osprey in your original post looks good though. Plenty of handy pockets etc inside.