rear mudguard for a boardman

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I would like to get a rear mudguard for a boardman mtb. I am not bothered about looks, what I care most about is having a dry arse - any recommendations?

thanks

sam

Comments

• Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Flick a coin between Crud Race and CycraGuard Mk2. Each has strengths / weaknesses. Both do a job.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I use the Topeak Defender M2 rear mud guard on my Comp HT. Very solid mud guard and looks good too, and only about £16 on Amazon. Bike Radar rate them quite highly:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-11-29571

Don't get the Defender M1 though which is the matching front guard as it is designed to slot into the fork tube and doesnt fit. Certainly in the case of the Epicon forks on the Comp HT anyway!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    If you really don't care what it looks like, then I can recommend an SKS Grand M.O.M. It's pretty wide and does a great job of keeping your @rse and camelbak clean. When adjusted correctly is fantastically quick to put on and take off, literally 2-3 seconds to put on and less to take off. When I bought mine I nearly sent it back because I couldn't see how it could possibly stay on but when the strap is adjusted correctly the clip snaps closed and has yet to come undone under some pretty testing conditions. Very clever and effective design.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/mudguards/mountain/product/review-sks-grand-mom-mudguard-39923 for a test, I agree with the comments but price now around £17-18 which would probably have given it 4 stars and the strap as explained above is a triumph of simplicity once adjusted correctly :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    I just bought this for mine:

topeak-defender-rx-rear.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... r-ec004906

The grey end on the left side of the photo is moveable so you can angle it down and the grey end on the right is separate when you get it and optional. My bike comes tomorrow so I'll try and get a pic with it on to show you how it looks/fits.
  • I've just bought myself a Muckynutz Butt Fender >>LINKY<<.

Not had chance to give it a proper try yet, but it looks like it should do the job nicely. Just keeps the worst of the mud out of your asscrack.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,778
    i've used the Cycraguard and the Topeak Defender - both work.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    cheers all, I think I may just plump for the sks one