Mavic XM719 or Stans Flow rims?

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Looking at getting a wheelset from Superstar but can't decide between the above. They'd be going on a Hardrock, I weigh about 11st - 11.5 st and at the moment the most they'd be used for is Delamere Forest! I'm looking to get a bit more into it though so they'd be used around the Lakes and Peaks with a few trail centres thrown in.

I don't really need an upgrade but I just got some Rebas with 15mm axle so I have no choice :twisted:

Should I go for QR adaptor on the rear or 10mm through axle? Does the axle come with the wheels????

Cheers for answering another boring newbie question :D

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Out of those two, the Flows. But they are overkill for the type of riding you're describing. Get the one down from the Flows (the Crests is it?)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    On the rear, the axle is bought seperately. 10mm-qr is good for stiffening things up a bit, but on a hardtail the benefit is negligible. I'd stick with regular qr (you can always upgrade later).

Rims-wise, Stan's Arch EX is probably more directly comparable to 719s. Between Flow and 719, the Flow is only a tiny bit heavier, but a lot wider. I'd choose the Flow (actually, I did and they've been great for about a year now), but as styxd says, the Crest sounds more suitable and is lighter and still wider than the 719.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Used to be a big fan of 719s until the front one bent into an '8' shape during a low side. Merlin build, 20mm XT & db spokes.
  • absv
    Cheers guys. I was looking at the Crests but I'm worried they may be a bit too weak given that I'm new and will be a bit ham fisted for a while at least :)

I thought about the Arch EX's as a happy medium but they're a bit more expensive again hence the thought of the flows as being strong enough but not too expensive???
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've Crests and Flows. I've taken the Crests DHing once whilst I was between wheels and they held up fine. I also go barreling through rock gardens with them in the Peaks - they are tough as a trail rider needs. I don't worry about strength with them.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mavic's equivalent to the Flow is the EN521. You don't need either the Flow or the EN521 for the sort of riding you're looking at. The Crest or the 719 will be excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • absv
    Thanks again! Sooooo, crest or 719 then? 719 is £20 cheaper at superstar, are there any obvious differences apart from manufacturer?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Crests are probably lighter. I think Flows are comparable to 719's in terms of weight.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One down from the Flow is the Arch EX.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Crests are something like 350g a rim,719 is more like 450g.Thats a fair bit ,(200g) lighter.
    Plus they are easier to go tubeless with.For the sake of £20 I know what I`d do.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But 719 are stiffer and stronger than a crest.
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    I've owned all three types of wheels/rims that you're considering, and given your weight (and if you're talking about 26" and not 29er rims), I think you be fine on Crests. I'm just over 14 stone in full kit and use Crests on my 140mm full sus, mainly on local Dark Peak trails, and I've been surprised by how good they are - I am running 'em tubeless with fat tyres though, and I do ride quite 'light' - if that makes sense.

However, I agree with Supersonic that the 719's are stiffer and stronger - the 719's are an eyeletted rim, so it can take a higher spoke tension than Stan's non-eyeletted rims. Yea, the rim is a bit narrower, but they build into a lovely strong wheel. To give you some idea of their strength - I had a pair of Hope/719's built by the wheelbuilder at Merlin a few years ago. I used 'em for 7 years on 3 different bikes, lots of natural trail riding, trail centres, few trips to the Alps...and they never needed truing once! I sold the wheels with a 130mm full-sus bike to a super-keen rider 3 years ago - he is a complete speed demon on descents and hops and pops off everthing in sight, and he is into 'proper' big mountain techy terrain...Snowdon, Scotland, Lake District. I expected him to have destroyed the wheels last time I saw him, but he loves 'em! He'd replaced the hub bearings once and a couple of spokes, but that's it in over two years of him hammering 'em.

p.s. If it's Crest 29er rims you're on about, I wouldn't bother unless you're racing - IMO, the Arch EX's are a better bet for general trail duties (and that is based on owning and riding a set).
  • absv
    Cheers guys. I've ordered a set of the Crests in 26". Hopefully they'll be strong enough, we'll have to wait and see.....