What are you wearing?

tastyclaw
tastyclaw Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Filthy weather this week. I've doubled up with a pair of cheap tights over cheap bib shorts. What are your staple outfits riding in the floods? Roubaix tights? Waterproof or neoprene over shoes? Umbrella?

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    tastyclaw wrote:
    Filthy weather this week. I've doubled up with a pair of cheap tights over cheap bib shorts. What are your staple outfits riding in the floods? Roubaix tights? Waterproof or neoprene over shoes? Umbrella?

A car.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Wetsuit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,622
    sunblock

/away from uk this week
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    Pink lacy knickers and stockings

OOPS wrong forum :oops:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    bowtie and a smile
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    p9uma wrote:
    tastyclaw wrote:

A car.

haha
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Kingy911 wrote:

there actually was a poster on here who used to wear his wifeys neglgee as a base layer - hehe, so you're in good company - just dont tell aggieboy - he's a sucker for anything in 'racy' attire.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,057
    Mudguards, not strictly clothing, are essential for me.

Given it's reasonably mild, I stick to arm & knee warmers with a jersey.

The only rain specific stuff I would definitely always have is a cycling cap - to keep the rain out of your eyes.

Overshoes are also very useful - keep your feet dry and stops your shoes getting heavy with water. Especially useful when you ride without mudguards.

I like to have a scrunchable waterproof jacket/layer top I can hold in my back pocket in case the temperature drops when I'm still wet.
  • Wiggle socks that are just a little too small (for some reason best known by Rob Spedding !)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Jeans and an Orca mid layer (I'm staying out of the rain !!!!)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Running shoes or swimming trunks, unless its a work day and i have to commute. Then im in Cheap decathalon tights and waterproof(£10) which gets you just as wet as it does not breath. Will treat myself to better gear next winter.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Same as usual for this time of year really; shorts, knee warmers, LS merino top, windproof gilet, neoprene overshoes.

On milder days I'm ditching the knee warmers and overshoes and swapping the merino for a SS jersey.

All stuff that stays comfortable when wet.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    A bit of rain eh? That can be fatal in some I believe.

Now that we're out of the winter, if it's raining I might stretch to full fingered gloves instead of mitts, but the kit list is:

Long sleeve top
    Gore Cycling top (until it gets a bit warmer)
    Gloves
    Shorts
    Socks
    Shoes

My overshoes delay water ingress for a while but with or without I still have soaking feet so now don't bother. It's not winter rain so it can bounce off the legs instead of soaking into some leggings; shorts because we need shorts, and the top because it keeps me warm enough. I've ended my last few commutes grinning like a village idiot; a bit of rain doesn't hurt, and a lot just adds to the fun. Splosh, as you might say.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I was going to say "the Tube" but I was beaten to it...

Went out for a quick spin yesterday; just the usual. I figure that as long as I'm warm, it's only rain and I won't dissolve. And I'll be hopping in the bath when I get home anyway.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I've always found a generous layer of blubber between the epidermis and the organs/core muscle groups keeps me going in such weather.

Thereby as long as the iphone is in its waterproof sleeve, +1 to Gizmo for sticking to normal wear.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Birthday Suit :lol:
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Was out in an absolute deluge yesterday. Fine except my gloves were soaked through and so hands were pretty cold and numb. Passed a Morrisons and picked up a pair of marigolds to go under the gloves. Worked a treat!
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Passed a Morrisons and picked up a pair of marigolds to go under the gloves. Worked a treat!
    Surgical gloves do a similar job....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Kingy911 wrote:

there actually was a poster on here who used to wear his wifeys neglgee as a base layer

'A poster', huh Cleat? 'Friend of a friend' is it?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}