Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x - Sizing Help Please.

Eillims
Eillims Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, new to the forum and MTB'ing so hello everyone!

Right basically I have ordered and received my Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x..

I entered all my details into the PPS website measurement thingy and it recommended me the 20" Large.. So I decided to get a second opinion and phoned up Canyon UK and went over it with them and they said its only a rough guide and that with my measurements I should go with the XL.. Well I did and now I have been on it, something just doesn't feel right, I feel like I am just too far away from the handle bars.. I have altered my seat forward to the furthest it can go but that hasn't helped much, I still feel too far away from the handlebars, I have been looking at alot of videos and pictures and they all seem to be closer.

My measurements are:

Height: 192 CM
Inseam: 91 CM
Torso: 83 CM (But had to go with 75 CM which is PPS max)
Shoulder: 43 CM
Arm: 75 CM

Also I have included two photos of me on the bike.. does this look like its too big for me? I just think a 20" Large will be a better fit?

The first picture is what I am referring to regarding my distance from the handle bars.

IMG_0134.JPG

Now check my distance from them handle bars.. It looks alot further away, it certainly feels it when im on it.

Any advice or help is very much appreciated and sorry for being so out of shape lol.

Regards,
Jason

Comments

• JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I'm no expert but to me it looks like you're too upright, I'd increase the saddle height and move it back a bit so that you're back is more parallel to the floor. That wil probably also bring your body closer to the bike and you might feel better.

As I said I'm no expert but can't hurt to try
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If anything looks a bit close. Straighten your back though - that will hurt after a while.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It is difficult to tell by looking at some photos, since you are a giant so you'll dwarf any 26" wheeled bike. A 29er would look more in proportion.

It doesnt look to big particularly, the only way to know for sure is to ride it for a fews hours and see what its like. You can always get higher bars or a shorter stem if you feel the need.
  • Eillims
    I appreciate the feedback guys, so the bike looks the right size for me, I just need to change the saddle position, height and my posture a little.. Right?

Just wanted to be sure because the guy at Canyon said if I wanted to change it for the Large I could, not really had chance to take it out from getting it because of the weather and my doubts with the sizing.

I'm at work until later today so I'll give your suggestions a try and reply tonight.

Thanks again!
    Jason
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    As a fellow Canyon owner, congrats - you've bought a great bike.

The concern I have is that you have posted pictures of yourself with the bike on a cream carpet. If you're married you are a brave, brave man. Those images would hold up as evidence of 'unreasonable behaviour' in any divorce court.

Happy riding!
  • Eillims
    lol I told the missus I didn't want cream but she got it anyway :roll:

Tis a nice bike I have to agree, just need to get out and ride it now.
  • I felt like that with my old bike but kept it. Then sold it a few months later as it was too big...