Valve (driving me..) Nuts!

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone leave those little valve nuts on or are they a waste of time?
Some valves have them and some don't so are they really needed?

I ask as I had an annoying rattle coming from the front end yesterday. I though I'd done a spoke nipple in or some part of the rim was rattling around inside.
It's only today with the wheel off the bike I realised the valve nut was a bit loose and causing all the fuss :evil:
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I use them because I've had a rattly valve stem previously when I didn't. You just can't win.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    They're not essential. I think their main purpose is to stop the tube slipping and shearing the valve but I would suspect that's a remote risk if the tyres are properly inflated. As you say you get some threadless valves that don't have the nut at all so they can't be that critical.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I like to use them so as not to ram the valve back up into the tyre and puncturing the inner tube, when pushing the track pump on. It's has happened with the threadless type. Maybe it's just me though :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    Always throw the nuts away, have done for over 40 years.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    They could be the cause of the vibration I get when I approach warp speed on a descent, I think I'll bin them and see what happens.

Of course that could just be b*llocks
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and not all nuts are the same

sun rims have a small recess that fits only certain valve nuts

and use them I have torn valves off without them, never with them fitted

and if you did not need them why would they supply them in the first place :roll:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You only really need them on deep section rims where the valve can disappear into the rim. Makes it a bit easier to get the pump on.

If you're not running deep rims then bin 'em; they add fully 5 or 6g weight I expect!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Are the not there so that when/if you inflate a fully flat tube while fitted it makes it easier to fit the pump head without pushing the valve stem back up inside the rim?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Are the not there so that when/if you inflate a fully flat tube while fitted it makes it easier to fit the pump head without pushing the valve stem back up inside the rim?
    That's what I thought they were for. Always leave mine off.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I always use them, but like the OP I had a rattle on the front that turned out to be a loose valve nut.

I check them along with tyre pressures before each ride now.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I never use them (or the dust caps). If you get a rattle, and I never have, just wrap a piece of insulating tape round the valve.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I find them useful for ensuring that the valve is positioned radially when fitting the tyre. I then slack the nut off and push the valve in to seat the tyre bead.
    I put vaseline on the thread in winter to avoid seizing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just keep one in my puncture kit and use it when attaching the pump to a completely flat tube. As mentioned above, it stops the valve stem moving about & makes the pump easier to attach. Once inflated, I remove the thing again.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    With the Mavic CC's, a rattle often comes from the long tubes rattling in the tubes passing out through the fairings.

Find it better to wrap the valve with a bit of insulation tape to stop rattle against fairings rather than force a nut onto fairing and reduce available thread depth for pump.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Do them up tight and with the combination of not having to replace the tube for a while, winter salt, frozen fingers, lashing rain/sleet and being on top of moorland now try and get the buggers to undo :oops:
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    That confirms it. I've just bought some Michelin Latex tubes with 60mm valves, they don't even have a thread on the valve, so I've definately got no nuts :shock:
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Nuts and dust caps in the bin. Never saw the point of them. :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I managed to hang on to my nuts until just after I got married. :cry:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    thecrofter wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I managed to hang on to my nuts until just after I got married. :cry:

:)
    Purveyor of "up" :)